Protecting shingle overhang?

Page 1 of 2
On the front and back of my garage the shingles overhand the edge of the roof by a few inches. Is there a standard way to support this edge so that a ladder can be used without crushing the shingles? Thanks.

Yes, I have it on my new roof from last year. I don't know what they call it but any roofer can tell you. I will call it a metal drip edge but don't trust me and call some roofers or maybe a home depot or the like.

You can use a ladder stabilizer against either the fascia or the roof itself, if there are gutters.

The technical term is a "drip edge". ;-) The shingles should still extend slightly, maybe 1/2" beyond the drip edge and can still be broken if you're not careful with a ladder.
On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 19:07:14 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I will look closer at mine to see if that's true. I didn't think it extends that much but let me look first. I like the idea tho of the ladder stabilizer regardless. Seems safer by the sound of it.

They're great for painting. They get the ladder about a foot away from the wall so you can reach under. The spread also makes it safer to reach outside the ladder. They can also be put on the bottom end to spread the base, though I've never used mine that way.
On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 14:02:11 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Excellent points to consider. I may buy one tho I prefer not to really use my ladder on my 2 story home alone :(

Two people on a ladder is not recommended. ;-)
On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 09:13:15 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I meant one on the base holding the ladder but still not really wanting to climb 2 stories nowadays. I have back problems and lack the balance I had when I was younger.

Sure, but my (intentional mis)reading was funnier.

My problem is my feet and knees. Working on a ladder, particularly an extension ladder, for any time is a bitch.
On 06/14/2012 06:52 AM, Davej wrote:

You can use a ladder stanoff; ladder-max (www.buyladder-max.com) is one choice.
Jon

No, I have a ladder standoff but it is not effective for this because the shingle edge is already on an overhang of several feet. Similar to this photo:
http://www.aaffordablegaragedoors.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/garage_door_pulled_out_large1.jpg
On 6/14/2012 1:01 PM, Davej wrote:

The Ladder-Max standoff arms can brace the ladder on the roof, above the dripline, as shown here:
http://stores.homestead.com/LadderMaxLLC/-strse-template/lmhome/Page.bok
On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 15:10:00 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

Here are a couple of more from Werner. I think I have the one at the top. I've had it for fifteen years, give or take, and it works very well. I always use it when painting.
On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 19:10:22 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Oops, let go of that one too soon.
The link: http://www.lowes.com/SearchCatalogDisplay?Ntt=ladder+stabilizer&storeId151&N=0&langId=-1&catalogId051&rpp$

For the gable end, have fun!!!! For the Eave side, the standoff goes ON THE ROOF, not against the wall. The home emade stand-off could be made with 2 different lengths to fit the roof slope, but I'd want an outrigger on the bottom of the ladder as well.

You could use ladder stand off attachments for your ladder. I have these and they work great, helps stabilize the ladder too.
http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Hardware/Ladders - Scaffolding/Ladders/Accessories/Stand-Off-Ladder-Arms/_/N-ntjw2/R-I5435946

First of all the shingles should NOT overhang the roof that far - but the answer to your problem is a set of "legs" that fit the ladder and touch the doof surface instead of the eaves.
You can make your own - see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTCXPKFG2Xs

or go to: (Amazon.com product link shortened)
To buy a better commercial product.

I just got the Shingles vaccine. I wonder if that would help in your case.

I think it's too late if the shingles are already hanging over a couple of inches.

Gen mine Monday