Protecting shingle overhang?

On the front and back of my garage the shingles overhand the edge of the roof by a few inches. Is there a standard way to support this edge so that a ladder can be used without crushing the shingles? Thanks.

Reply to
Davej

Yes, I have it on my new roof from last year. I don't know what they call it but any roofer can tell you. I will call it a metal drip edge but don't trust me and call some roofers or maybe a home depot or the like.

Reply to
Doug

You can use a ladder stanoff; ladder-max

is one choice.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Davej wrote in news:93c62ff4-56f3-42da-8940- snipped-for-privacy@n33g2000vbi.googlegroups.com:

You could use ladder stand off attachments for your ladder. I have these and they work great, helps stabilize the ladder too.

Larry

No, I have a ladder standoff but it is not effective for this because the shingle edge is already on an overhang of several feet. Similar to this photo:

Davej

The Ladder-Max standoff arms can brace the ladder on the roof, above the dripline, as shown here:

HellT

You can use a ladder stabilizer against either the fascia or the roof itself, if there are gutters.

The technical term is a "drip edge". ;-) The shingles should still extend slightly, maybe 1/2" beyond the drip edge and can still be broken if you're not careful with a ladder.

Reply to
krw

Here are a couple of more from Werner. I think I have the one at the top. I've had it for fifteen years, give or take, and it works very well. I always use it when painting.

Reply to
krw

Oops, let go of that one too soon.

The link:

krw

First of all the shingles should NOT overhang the roof that far - but the answer to your problem is a set of "legs" that fit the ladder and touch the doof surface instead of the eaves.

You can make your own - see:

or go to:
To buy a better commercial product.

Reply to
clare

ON THE ROOF, not against the wall. The home emade stand-off could be made with 2 different lengths to fit the roof slope, but I'd want an outrigger on the bottom of the ladder as well.

Reply to
clare

I just got the Shingles vaccine. I wonder if that would help in your case.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I think it's too late if the shingles are already hanging over a couple of inches.

Reply to
krw

Gen mine Monday

Reply to
clare

I will look closer at mine to see if that's true. I didn't think it extends that much but let me look first. I like the idea tho of the ladder stabilizer regardless. Seems safer by the sound of it.

Reply to
Doug

Wrap and tie old carpet around the each of the top 2 rails of the ladder

Reply to
mark

They're great for painting. They get the ladder about a foot away from the wall so you can reach under. The spread also makes it safer to reach outside the ladder. They can also be put on the bottom end to spread the base, though I've never used mine that way.

Reply to
krw

That might help prevent paint scuffing but won't protect the shingles.

Reply to
krw

Excellent points to consider. I may buy one tho I prefer not to really use my ladder on my 2 story home alone :(

Reply to
Doug

Two people on a ladder is not recommended. ;-)

Reply to
krw