Protecting on wood on porch?

I've got a screen-in porch that we recently painted the exterior using a solid color deck stain. The interior, however, is not painted nor do I want it to be as I prefer the natural wood look there. However since rain and snow sometimes enter through the screens, the wood would need some kind of protectant. I'm not sure what I should use, since the porch is 5 yrs old already. Is it to late for a sealer (I have no idea if one was originally applied), or should it just be cleaned periodically?

Reply to
DesignGuy

I'd use spar varnish to maintain the natural look. There are other products like Cetol, but it will darken the wood a bit.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

There are numerous semi-transparent and some "clear" stains that you could use. Consumer Reports recently did a review of many of them stating all their likes and dislikes of each.

This summer I had a new all white cedar deck built and I selected Sikkens Cetol natural cedar stain and it came out just great looking. I wanted a look that mimiced what it looked like when rain water was on it and I believe we've accomplished that.

Good luck.

Bob_M