Protecting Electrical on Closed Up Wall

I ran some electrical in a wall that is closed up and wonder what I can get in between the electrical and wall to prevent someone from drilling or nailing though it at a later date. Can't get a dottie plate in as the other side of the wall is closed, but I can fudge a piece of sheet metal or someting in there. What should I use and what guage? And how do I affix it, glue???

Reply to
Michael Roback

According to Michael Roback :

If it's just loosely fished thru the wall cavity, you don't need to do anything. If you were to drive a screw, nail or drill into it at a later date, it'd just push the wire out of the way and be very unlikely to be a problem. Besides, once you got thru the wall surface, you'd stop drilling anywho.

Steel nail guard plates etc. are for when the wire is held in position less than 1 1/4" from the wall face (measured from stud wall surface). Ie: cable held by staples or holes drilled thru the studs.

Indeed, most electrical inspectors will permit wire directly in contact with the back of drywall _if_ there's nothing solid behind the wire (ie: no reason to drive a surface fastener there).

Eg: on the bottom of ceiling joists parallel (and between) ceiling lathe used to support drywall. They insist on an additional 3/4" in depth when the wire crosses the lathe.

Reply to
Chris Lewis