Protect Dining Table

We have a new casual oak dining table in the breakfast area, and want to protect it from water rings, etc., but don't want to hide the table under a table cloth or pad. Someone recommended a spray on product called Dep(?) but we can't find it anywhere.

I am thinking about some Satin Wipe-On Poly, (link below), but I don't know if that would be a bad idea. Opinions?

Any other suggestions?

Wipe on poly info:

Jeff McAhren

Glass. We did that 20 years ago and the table looks great though the glass could use replacing. We cut cardboard to shape though some guys make house calls.

Reply to
Art

There is a spray finish Deft that might be what you heard, a nitrocellulose lacquer that doesn't do too much for water rings although it is repaired easily. Consider a waterbased polyurethane like Flecto Varathane, read the label as they make oil based also. Thin it a little, 15% or so, with distilled water and wipe on with lint free rag. Waterbased stuff doesn't amber like oil does, lacks odors like oil and dries FAST. Scuff sand between coats. Wipe maybe

3-5 coats. Use gloss to avoid cloud>We have a new casual oak dining table in the breakfast area, and want to
Reply to
nospambob

don't know

Just my $.02. A very close friend wrote a book on Hawaiian Furniture. In order to protect this antique and modern extremely valuable stuff, he advocates that you use only a hard wax - like carnauba. Using something like Pledge is not advocated. I am assuming that the polymer stuff has things that would get into the wood grain as well. Just get a hard wax and polish several times a year. Wipe with a damp sponge to clean from time to time. Looks very nice and is good for the wood.

aloha, Thunder

Farmers & Sellers of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

Reply to
smithfarms pure kona

If you want to mess with putting a poly or whatever find out what its coated with now from the Mnfg or you can ruin your table from new finish compatibility issues. Follow their instructions or use glass

Reply to
m Ransley

Glass was the best answer. I assume your table already has a finish on it. If you don't want to use glass, try coasters and place mats. Do not try to put another finish on top especially polyurethane. It will almost certainly not properly stick. You might try a hard wax like carnuba. Water rings will be more obvious but are easily fixed since the old wax can be removed and a new coat put down.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Baron