Protect and Waterproof paint on counter top trim

I have a tile counter top with a 1" wood trim around the edges. The trim i ted and the paint is starting to wear after just 6 months of use. I would like to repaint the trim and somehow seal it this time to prevent it from wearing so quickly. I'm guessing the biggest problem is the fact that the counter gets washed regularily so the paint get wet on a regular basis and since it's not oil based paint it doesn't stand up to well. It also seems like a little bit of water is starting to seep in between the trim and the grout.

I was thinking of maybe putting on a couple of coats of urathane after I paint? Would that be a good idea? Or is there something better? I just need something that would seal and waterproof the painted trim and part of the grout line when the grout and trim meet.

Thanks, Harry

Reply to
Harry Muscle