Prospects of selling a house next door to a "reformed" spree killer?

Page 1 of 6
Any realtors reading?
Let's say someone like Kip Kinkel - schizophrenic kid who killed his parents and shot up his school about 10 years ago - got a commutation of his sentence as some people think he should since they feel he was a "victim" who didn't get the help he needed and was treated unfairly, and was in the market to buy a house. They're convinced that with meds and supervision he would probably have no problems living as a free man.
I assume realtors aren't going to turn down his money so I imagine he'd find someone to sell him a house, but even if they make an effort to conceal who the new neighbor is, I imagine at some point word is going to get out that he lives in that house.
Would you even be able to give away any of the nearby houses once it became common knowledge? Or, if a realtor made efforts to conceal this fact when selling a neighboring house, do the buyers have any recourse?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Word predisposition comes to mind.
On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 19:57:03 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

So you're a card carrying member of NIMBY huh?
Any person who has served his time in incarceration, is entitled to live somewhere. Technically, YOU, the prospective neighbor is not necessarily entitled to know that this person WAS ever incarcerated.
Even if you did find out, there is no legal recourse you can take to force him to move elsewhere.
<thedarkonelives wrote

Laws may not *allow* the relator to disclose such even if they are aware of it. The home owner may or may not be required to disclose such, rather area dependant on disclosure laws.
In my area for example, folks selling are advised to 'not disclose' as you can't be sued later for anything that comes up. If you do 'disclose' you can be sued even years later for just about anything even if you can prove you did NOT know about it (obviously hard to prove such, and wont save you here).
'Technically' my house was bought 'non-disclosed' but folks have a way here of working out basic stuff 'off the record'. Seller for example quietly warned us that with a house built in 1963, it was largely code-spec to 1963 and that future work, depending on what it was, would sometimes entail additional costs. He was real careful to explain the back room was codespec only to 'enclosed porch' for example and now we understand why ;-). Reality is at the time it was a rental bedroom for a roomate, bed and all. It's a 'legal thing' to call my home a 3BR 1.5 bath, vice a 4 BR 1.5 bath. Had he tried to market it as a 4 BR officially, he would have been required to pay to bring that encloser to codespec of the time for a BR.
cshenk wrote:

Are you sure about that? I would think it would be the reverse: Disclosure immunizes you from being sued in that the buyer knew what he was getting. Non-disclosure allows the buyer to presume nothing abnormal about the property.
"HeyBub" wrote

Nope, as explained to me thats how it works 'here'. If you say you 'disclose' here, you are liable for anything and everything, even stuff you didnt know about.
It's bad as partial disclosure would be better (if allowed).

in pennsylvania failure to disclose a deficency you know about makes you liable after sale for the entire cost to fix whatever fails.
like the neighbor who sold a 100,000 home failed to disclose the main sewer was bad.
new owner found previous plumber visits...... could prove deficency
cost old owner over 10 grand for new sewer, driveway, wall, entire replacement and restoration.........
a very expensive lesson

Interesting! I wouldnt mind that. I thought the rules here as explained to me by the realtors sounded 'wierd'.

Wince! Yes, it would be.
says...

Nonsense. It *is* public information.

You certainly do live in a strange world. We had a lengthy disclosure form to fill out that went through the entire house. I looked at it as a good thing. As long as I answered the questions honestly there was nothing to come back after me for, though that wouldn't stop an ambulance chaser.

My house had a building permit and CO as a two bedroom [*] house, even though there were clearly three. Before I could even put it on the market I had to get the permit and CO "upgraded" to three bedrooms. It cost me $3500, for nothing but paper and five minutes of the town clerk's time.
[*] who in their right mind would build (or allow to be built) a two bedroom 2-1/2 bath house?
--
Keith

"krw" wrote

I never said it wasn't. What your area (state) requires may match another or may not be the same. I advised to look up the laws for the area involved. Normally pretty easy to find.

Just wierd to me, but got same info from several realtors. I do not live in a 'must disclose' state.

I'm not sure what the costs would have been in 1995 to bring it up to code, only an estimate in 2007 that was very open ended as in 'we expect to find more'. Of what I can recall besides the roof having to go up was the slab had to be raised to level to the rest of the house (it's a 1.5 inch or so drop). I thought that one very odd indeed. They seemed quite happy to make it with no windows but spec'd out that if it had a window it had to be a certain size... (The room has 2 doors so the window apparently isnt required but i already have one bedroom with no windows and 2 doors).

Grin, does sound odd!
says...

You did when you said, "Laws may not *allow* the Realtor to disclose...". It is perfectly legal to "disclose" public information.

It is *not* uncommon. I've had to do it twice now, in different states. The last one was *very* strict. Agents get sued for non- disclosure all the time, even though there was no way they *could* have known. ...even if the homeowner obviously did, the agent gets sued (deep pockets).

I didn't grin at the $3500 - for nothing.
--
Keith

Pity the current location of spree killers who have served their time isnt.

Only in the stupid US system.

Your problem.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

'Tis a pity you that can't read.

...and you *know* stupid! Every day you brush your teeth and shave looking at it.

Indeed it was. The $3500 was a very temporary setback. OTOH, yours is permanent.
--
Keith

Some gutless fuckwit desperately cowering behind
out of its predicament and fooled absolutely no one at all, as always.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

You are a bore, Ron. Nothing new folks. Move along.
--
Keith

Some gutless fuckwit desperately cowering behind
out of its predicament and fooled absolutely no one at all, as always.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

--
Keith

Your sig is supposed to be at the bottom, with a line with just -- on a line by itself in front of it.

The current location of an ex prisoner isnt.

But which didnt include anything about the neighbours.

So it was in fact completely useless.

Your problem.

Those who arent stupid enough to spend more on more house when they dont need that.
Some gutless fuckwit desperately cowering behind
out of its predicament and fooled absolutely no one at all, as always.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

should be good at it.
--
Keith