Proposed Project Check

Page 3 of 4
On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 19:21:27 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I agree. Florida did away with vehicle inspections 30 years ago and the statistics actually got better, having nothing to do with inspections either way. If you are not in the biggest urban areas we don't even have emission inspection. None here in SW Florida. The cops can still stop cars for obvious mechanical problems. They do have to be a bit careful tho since the demographics of these stops may not be politically correct.
On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 23:05:00 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

We don't have vehicle inspections here in Alabama, either. I don't think there are any emissions tests anywhere either, certainly not here. I'll be moving to the Atlanta area in the next year (live up there now, during the week) and there are emissions tests in most of the 'burbs. :-( When I lived in VT and NY, inspections were just a license to steal.
On 1/29/2012 11:35 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I worked out in Californiastan for a while and bought a used car that I took to a garage to get my emissions test report in order to get the car registered. It was not a very involved test. I think as long as there's no obvious smoke coming out of the tailpipe, you pass. o_O
TDD
On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 01:47:55 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Probabl just hook it to the computer to see that bits are still moving. It wasn't usually[*] the emissions tests that were the license to steal, rather the safety checks. I got dinged $30 at least a half dozen times for "headlight aiming".
[*] There was one garage that would fail you if you'd swapped the engine in the car. "It's not the same engine the manufacturer used". Once dinged, it was impossible to get someone else to pass it.
On 1/30/2012 10:25 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Now that I think back, it was 1989 when I was there, the mechanic hooked a tailpipe sniffer up to check the exhaust emissions and the car passed. The funny thing was the mechanic was from Alabamastan and a town just a few miles from where I live now. ^_^
TDD
On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 02:49:44 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Emissions test in Alabamistan? When? Where? I've not heard of that.
On 1/31/2012 9:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

It was in Californiastan where I had to have the car checked for excessive tailpipe emissions. The mechanic just happened to be from Alabamastan. There has been talk of forcing vehicular emission tests on the larger urban areas in Alabamastan by The EPA. I think it was discussed during the last P.L.L.C.F. infestation of The White House and U.S government. o_O
TDD
On 1/29/2012 3:24 PM, Evan wrote:

not really. here in AZ, we have no vehicle inspection at ALL except when the car is titled. that tends to be once in it's lifetime, which for here could be 20-30 years ago. there isn't any great preponderance of accidents traced to faulty parts at all. most people know enough to keep their auto in good mechanical shape and don't really need a government nanny to test out our lights.
emissions just plugs into the plug and reads out the data for all cars newer than 96. all other non-diesel before that get dynotested every 2 years.
nothing else is inspected.

LOL... Its funny you talk about cars... The only thing that the government cars about with them is passing a basic safety test and emissions control equipment check periodically... Those certified inspectors are in fact agents of the government even though they are not direct government employees...
Everything else to do with cars the operators are responsible for and that is why responsible drivers obtain insurance...
Bad brake job ? Hope she sued that mechanic as it seems the vehicle wasn't road tested at all to verify the repairs were properly made if the shop was truly "just down the street" from where the brakes failed again...
Although you don't know what work was done, or if the lady was trying to be cheap and only fix what was obviously broken rather than replacing all the questionable lines and another one ruptured when she gave the brake pedal a good pump...
Your state must not check things like brakes during the vehicle inspection process, mine does... But then again the state only requires inspections done every other year, so brakes that passed at inspection time one year can be quite dangerous in the time immediately prior to the next inspection 24 months later...
Since a "do it yourself" mechanic can't put his/her own inspection sticker on their car without being certified by the state to do so, I see no harm in having the government involved in the process somewhere... I do hope that those mechanics who do their own work on their cars have additional insurance coverage though, because there is no "mechanic" or service station to go after for shoddy work if something that was repaired fails again and causes an accident...
~~ Evan

And here we have another Evan classic. Now he says those of us that work on our own cars need some additional insurance of some kind. Where does one get this insurance so they can work on their own car? I guess I need to call my agent.
Why stop there? Let's extend it to any of us that do any work on our own homes too, because we could do something wrong. Evan, do you have such insurance? I think not, so you must not work on your own home. Since that is pretty much what this group is about, why the hell are you here?
You remind me of the robot from Lost in Space back in the 60s, running around out of control, arms flailing, "WARNING, DANGER WILL ROBINSON!"
Now let us real men get back to work.
On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 06:48:10 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

I certainly hope Evan has a computer degree to use his PC. His insurance will never cover it.

Can you tell me where Obama, or GWB, or Reagan inspectors "invaded" your life? Not GWB's light bulbs. That's a national security issue. It's called ENERGY INDEPENDENCE AND SECURITY ACT OF 2007. I was already replacing filament with CFL's long before that was passed. TSA is also about national security. I don't fly, and never had a TSA joker invade my house. So except for funding TSA via my taxes, it's non-existant to me. Then you have Nixon's EPA. I remember when Los Angeles was always full of smog, and we had many bad days in Chicago. All I know is the air is much cleaner than it was in the '60's.
I'm curious how you are being "invaded" by the Feds. Aren't most codes and inspections locally imposed? Heybub has none to worry about. You think electricians shouldn't be licensed? Not me. I know nothing at all about electricity, except it can start fires and zap you. I paid licensed electricians to put a new service in two of my houses, and to pull permits, and the work was inspected by the cities. Then I never worried about my family's safety on that score. Is there a better way?
Sure, in some places inspecting is used as a source of graft/collusion. I've seen that first hand. They were caught in the end, as are most criminals.
I've encountered only one stupid example of Federal government inspection, when I was operating packaging machines. Packaging a dry soup mix for the military in a nitrogen environment machine. There was always a Fed inspector there while I was working. He'd look at and weigh packets once in a while, duplicating what I was already doing. His presence had no effect on me. Total waste of tax dollars. I know there's a lot of that. Checking random packets at the receiving center would have been much more efficient.
Anyway, regulations always seem to degenerate into a political topic, without getting into the need or stupidity of them. That's why I ask for specific examples, and alternatives. That way you're talking sense and not politics.
--Vic
On 1/29/2012 5:16 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

You know, it's just possible that you didn't see your licensed electrician slip that $100 in your inspector's pocket after doing sub standard work on your house.

When I remodeled my bathroom (15yo house, at the time) I found a vanity light that had no box behind it. The sheetrock was notched out over a stud and the wire run across the channel because it was in the wrong cavity. *That's* the sort of crap you get from Evan's wonderful state licensees.

That's pretty much my point. The difference is that if it's my house, I'm going to do it right. In fact, cost be damned. I'll do it better than it needs to be.

Why should inspectors be any different than other government employees?
On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 20:25:00 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"
Some of us are not government employees. We have some skin in the game.
On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 23:06:41 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

What "skin"? Can I hire an inspector of my choice?
On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 00:36:30 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

The states and counties can hire contract inspectors here as long as they have a valid state inspector's license. It is not happening much now but in the go go days when a muni guy was looking at 30-40 cards a day, it was common. My contract is with the state but I am not getting any calls these days either, the county guys are doing them too.
The inspector is scheduled by the agency holding the permit. I doubt you can call your shot.
On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 01:10:03 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Then I guess I don't see how it's any different than the inspector being an employee of whatever jurisdiction.
On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 23:29:47 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

It is easier to sue a contract inspector and the state will not provide the attorney.
Theoretically I was covered by sovereign immunity but that doesn't even work for the state.