Proper way to mow

Page 2 of 2
I think the real key to grass care is keeping your blades razor sharp! I sharpen the blade every three or four cuts and the mulching lawnmower works best that way. For your size lawn, how about one of those solar powered robotic mowers that cuts all the time the sun is out.
--
<<< There are only 10 kinds of people...Those that understand binary and
those that don't. >>>
||I think the real key to grass care is keeping your blades razor sharp! I ||sharpen the blade every three or four cuts and the mulching lawnmower works ||best that way. For your size lawn, how about one of those solar powered ||robotic mowers that cuts all the time the sun is out.
I like those things! Check out the Husquvarna robotic on their website. Rex in Fort Worth
That is way too cool. I have never heard of them. I just checked out their website, http://international.husqvarna.com/node1520.asp?id#493&intLanguageId=1
Anyone have any idea how much one of these guys is? Do they work on hills? This would make my summers way easier!!
Thanks Sherry
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Rex B wrote:

I paint the bottom of my mower with "Slip Plate" its a graphite paint from Tractor Supply. Nothing sticks to it, makes mulching alot easier as you dont get the build up under the mower. Great for wheelbarrows, and dump trucks too.

Mulching blades have to be kept sharp. Most folks don't sharpen any mower blade often enough. Do not block the dishcarge. Set blade height at 2.5" mow before it reaches 3.5"
Don writes:

Boustrophedonically.
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Just hitch a yoke of oxen to the mower. They'll know what to do.
Dale Scroggins

Ken.

What is your rational for #2 and #3.
On 14 Apr 2004 08:19:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Don) wrote:

When mulching mow in a counterclockwise direction.
When bagging mow clockwise. This will leave the least amount of clippings on the lawn.
On 14 Apr 2004 08:19:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Don) wrote:

3" is the recommended length to cut the lawn to. Shorter is damaging to most grasses.
Make a pass or two one way, then do the rest the other way. Bag the first couple passes .. sounds like you're not bagging/collecting the grass.. such a shame, what a compost pile you could have ;-)
If you want to mulch, then you gotta cut more frequently, and at that 3" height, shouldn't be cutting off more than 1/4 to 1/2 inch I'd think if you truly want it to mulch, and have the cut off grass fall to the ground between the grass blades decompose and feed the lawn. Otherwise, you're just makin' thatch that will eventually kill off some of the grass and leave openings for weed seed to grow.
Mow a bit each night instead of a big mow once a week.. or hire someone else to do it if you don't have time.
Reduce your lawn area through landscaping. I'd imagine if you don't have time to mow, you don't have time to vegetable garden.. although that would give you a place to use grass clippings that aren't contaminated with herbicides.
Janice
you should be blowing the clipping where you have not mowed this gives them a shot to get cut again you should basically mow in a spiral from the outside in!
Wayne
(Don) wrote:

You should only take off 1/3 of the height of the blade of grass.
(Don) wrote:

Fisher Price wrote:

(I can just see some poor sucker laying there, measuring each blade, and calculating 1/3.)