Proper way to attach fascia boards

I am building a porch. The roof decking is 1" wide boards extending 14" out from each side (gable ends). I'm about to attach 1x6 fascia boards, and am wondering if it's ok to nail them into the end grain of the 1" board, flush with the top of the roof planks. The purpose is not only appearence but also to keep the roof boards in a straight line and prevent them from warping. I will also add some lateral support 2x6 attached to the fascia and to the inside rafter. Thanks,
-- Jeff

If I read this correctly, you're talking about a barge rafter, not the fascia. Yeah, that would work, but I'd probably put a 2X4 under the roof deck boards and attach from the top of the roof. Then you can attach the 1X6 to that..

I'd also set the 2X4 back from the edge of the roof boards so when you install the 1X6 over it, the roof boards still stick out a liitle. Gives a nice shadow line, and the corners where it meets the fascia won't look awkward...

I've seen the rakeboard rabbetted to accept the decking. Then nail from the top. Tom

I'm going from memory, but I think the normal way to do that is to have built a sort of ladder-shaped assembly out of whatever your rafters are made of, so that there's an actual rafter out there under the end of the decking. If it's too late to do that, or the design makes it undesirable, I'd at least run a board flat on the underside of the decking and attach the deck and then barge-board to that.
IMO, 1" planking is too thin to be end-nailing into.
Jeff wrote:I am building a porch. The roof decking is 1" wide boards extending 14" out from each side (gable ends). I'm about to attach 1x6 fascia boards, and am wondering if it's ok to nail them into the end grain of the 1" board, flush with the top of the roof planks. The purpose is not only appearence but also to keep the roof boards in a straight line and prevent them from warping. I will also add some lateral support 2x6 attached to the fascia and to the inside rafter.
I've seen the rake/fascia board rabbetted to accept the roofboards. Then you can drive nails from above, with some support for the rakeboard, of course. Tom