Proper way to affix 6 pound sledge to hickory handle (metal & wood wedge in slot)?

Page 2 of 2
On 7/25/2011 2:13 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I'll second that. My mother and grandmother could simply not be convinced to put their wood-handled tools away after playing in the garden. Being the dutiful son/grandson, I was always the one who got tapped to turn the garden beds in the spring. (What's a roto-tiller?). After about the third time of having the damn shovel handle snap on me, the lightbulb went off, and I bought them new shovels with fiberglas handles.
All my old man's nagging got to me. Even now, living alone, I can't bear to NOT rinse the shovels and metal-ended tools off before I put them away in the shed.
--
aem sends...

Lot more messy as you have to epoxy them in IIANM. Never used one myself. I prefer the 'spring' in wood handles.
Harry K
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 08:01:54 -0400, dadiOH wrote:

Then I should have skinnied down the hickory handle! :(
Now the problem is to get the maul 'off' the handle ...

If you cant get the head off the handle, buy a metal wedge almost the full width of that slot, and drive the metal wedge in where the saw cut is. You wont be able to use the small metal wedge that came with it. But I've done it this way and it worked well.

hold the sledge in midair, head down. Heavy hammer and alternating blows side to side on the sledge head. Ignore all the "don't hammer on hardened heads". It is 90% BS and 10% wishful thinking.
Harry K

I missed that. You say the handle fits. DO NOT SKINNY DOWN THE HANDLE. It will be forever loose if you do. Start the wood wedge in before insertin the handle in the sledge head. Yes, it works fine in my over 30 years experience do it. It doesn't take much just far enought that it doesn't fall out while inserting handle.
Harry K

He started by saying the handle fit fine, but his description of how he gorilla'd it on suggests otherwise...

A well fitting handle does need to be driven in. I fit them by shaving down with broken glass. Takes off a few thousandths at a time, trial fit (drive until it won't go) , remove head, shave a bit at the marking, repeat until it goes all the way, If you can slip the handle on without hammering or tapping the handle on something solid it is too loose.
Harry K
On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 10:54:29 -0700, Larry Fishel wrote:

Hmmm... maybe I misunderstood.
When I put the handle in the maul hole, it was 'perfect'.
That meant it was EXACTLY the same size.
So, I held the maul handle down over a concrete curb and banged down on the handle.
The maul head easily slid down about, oh, an inch or more.
Then I banged harder on the concrete; the maul slid further; but there was about, oh, say a half inch left between the top of the maul and the top of the handle.
When I finally banged pretty darn hard, the top of the handle came flush.
At that point, I stopped banging. It was clear to me that if I banged the handle down further the maul head would slip down further (there is still an inch or so of handle taper left below the maul, which seems like a weak point to me).
By that (more detailed) description, would you say that the maul fit or didn't fit the handle?
On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 14:41:17 -0700, Harry K wrote:

I see that was my main mistake.
I didn't know to put the wood wedge in BEFORE inserting the handle into the maul.
And, I couldn't tell which way the maul was up versus down (if there is a difference, I didn't see it).
So, I guess, my inexperience killed me. It didn't help that there were no instructions.
My mistake for not asking BEFORE doing.

Well you are learnign faster than _I_ did. I figured all that out on my own. No 'puters, internet, etc. back in the dark ages. :)
Harry K

Start the wooden wedge in the slot before you put the head on.
Start the head on then vertically bang the handle end on something solid like a concrete floor until the head seats.
Drive in the wedges.
Jimmie
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 14:33:40 -0700, JIMMIE wrote:

The 'only' way that was going to happen would have been if I 'rasped' the handle down smaller ... or ... if the maul truly has a top and a bottom ... then maybe I put it on upside down (but I sure couldn't tell the difference).
arkland wrote:

When you get the handle off, use calipers to measure the hole...both ends of it and the center.
--

dadiOH