Proper Tape for Door Seams?

Hello!

Just bought a house and now I get to enjoy the experience of moving in the dead of winter. Big heavy tables and steel bedframes are always a joy to carry around outside when it is -10F.

Anyways.... This house has three ill-fitting doors on it (yeah, bummer). I'm going to do my best to weatherstrip the entry door, and come spring it will be replaced anyways. For the other two, I see no need for anyone to come in or out of them for awhile, so I'm inclined just to tape them shut. I had some blue "painter's tape" lying around and used that, but of course it doesn't seem to stay up for very long.

Anyone else do this? What's the best tape to use that won't leave a gooey gummy mess all over the wooden door(s) and trim? I know that WD-40 would take the gumminess off but I bet it would hose up the paint, and make that area impossible to paint again.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

A bonus question: Who do you call to have a black iron gas line "tee'd" and brought up into another room? Heating and A/C folks? A plumber? General contractor? Uncle Larry?

TIA

-Phaeton

Reply to
phaeton

Wife used masking tape a several months ago and it is still in place. I, myself, would look at foam backer rod. TB

Reply to
tbasc

TB

Still in place, but will it leave a mess when removed? ;-)

Describe this backer board. Is it like a metal strip that you snug up against the door and tack into/around the doorframe?

Thanks..

Reply to
phaeton

place.

Not backer board, backer ROD...

It's a foam rod used for filling a large gap before it's caulked....

Reply to
Rick

Ahhh.. ic. thx

Now that I've got this situation, i am motivated to closely inspect the sealing surfaces of every single door i walk through, seeing what's there and how it was sealed. Then I close it, test its fit, and then I hold my hand out to the crack and see how much cold air is coming in.

I'm sure that people watch me do this and think i'm nuts or something. The looks on their faces are comical :-D

Reply to
phaeton