Proper shielding of wire in a narrow wall cavity?

I built a closet in a room and to conserve space I made the front of the closet out of 2X4's mounted sideways. I'd like to put a light in the closet, but that means I'll be running a wire down to a switch in a wall cavity that is only 1 1/2" between two sheets of drywall. Do I need to shield the wire run down to the switch with conduit or flex conduit?
Thanks, Craig
__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4822 (20100131) __________
http://www.eset.com

I would put the wire in a metal conduit. A simpler solution is to get a battery powered light... that is if the closet light is not going to be used frequently.
CraigT wrote:

Why not just use BX for the switch leg and then you won't worry?
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

switchbox and light inside the closet rather than messing around in a 1 1/2 cavity...

You have to use a shallow box for the switch, run the wire according to whatever the local code requires.

Use EMT conduit. All of the cables (including armored/metal clad) and plastic conduits still require protection. You can get away with spacing them away from the framing member by more than 1.25" horizontally in some jurisdictions but it is still a problem where it penetrates the top plate.