Proper setup for two 50 gallon gas hot water heaters in SERIES (with recirculating pump)

Page 2 of 2
On 3/22/2011 3:43 PM, Aaron FIsher wrote:

I don't think your setup is working properly. It would be difficult for it to run out of hot water. How many gallon are the water heaters?
On 3/21/2011 11:16 PM, Aaron FIsher wrote:

Plumb in series to save energy. The first tank in series only ever turns on if the second tank falls below a certain *critical* temperature. It then delivers warm water to the second tank instead of cold water, so the second tank has the capability to heat it hotter. This way you normally only have heat loss from the second tank.

Without two tanks of water already heated and available on demand, he will not have as much hot water available. And you still have to have the second tank warming up water to some temp, so I don't see the energy savings. If energy savings is the goal along with continuous amounts of hot water, then I'd just go with a tankless, assuming the install is reasonable.