Proper outlet orientation

I suppose it's not enough of an advantage that it's worth changing existing receptacles that need no other work.

Yes. That applies to my dryer (240V 30A) as well at 120V plugs.

Also. if you have 2 of those for one receptacle, how may have a problem since the cord on one plug can cover up the other outlet. They COULD make the cord come out the side, so you'd never have that problem. BTW, this applies to wall warts (power supplies, remote control modules, etc...) too.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I've seen red receptacles in hospitals. I think they do that to indicate those connected to the emergency generator.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Most people haven't because (1) most plates in a house aren't metal (metal usually found only in a shop or industrial applications)and (2) plates are screwed on and don't often come off, especially if a plug is in the socket. Probably have a 1 in

10,000,000 chance of a plate falling off.
Reply to
George E. Cawthon

That may be new as a code requirement some places, but as a reason for putting the ground pin up, it's been around a long time. I recall reading it in a home workshop guide from the 1950s, can't recall which, that I got at a used book fair years ago.

Reply to
Joshua Putnam

That's correct, at least is exactly how we do it in the data centers. Orange, in this case for emergency power.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Actually that would explain a lot of things. Every so often I run across a heavy power adapter where the bulk of the adapter points UP in an outlet. I totally hate those things because they do flop down unless the ground is facing up.

Reply to
Eigenvector

"Eigenvector" wrote in news:Ge-dnQHVSL0BgqnYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Yep it's amazing how much this subject repeats. And every time it get dead horse beaten.

This solves the problem. An outlet with one up and one down.

Al Bundy

Well, just to satisfy my own curiosity, and because I knew that continuing this thread would piss off Tekkie and RicodJour even more, I have posed the question to my local inspectors office. Maybe in a couple of weeks they'll respond with a nice sensible answer?

Reply to
Eigenvector

I see a fair amount of metal plates in older homes and updated newer ones, and the odds are probably higher than that. We could poll the people on this newsgroup, mulitply by the number of outlets, on average, they've lived with over the years, and determine a sample incident ratio - but let's not. ;)

We're talking about convenience outlets. The proper orientation of an outlet is that which allows the connecting cord(s) to run the best course, lay flatest, or most concealed/accessible. In other words, whatever is most convenient. Any other answer, whether code or conviction, is based on immaterial and insignificant factors. That probably helps explain why GFIs usually (always? never saw one that wasn't) have the test and reset buttons labeled so they're readable with the ground in either orientation.

RicodJour

Heterosexual. One outlet, and one plug. None of this plugamy, or double male or double female nonsense. It's just not right.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Eigenvector posted for all of us...

When YOU stop posting your idiotic questions and learn to research - you ar= e=20 such an easy target because you are STUPID.

--=20 Tekkie "There's no such thing as a tool I don't need."

Reply to
Tekkie®

With all the time you save doing half-hearted Borg searches and avoiding Your Friend Google, why stop with a local yokel? Go straight to NEMA. Contact AHJs worldwide and ask for their justifications for having a panoply of receptacle configurations.

RicodJour

Not really.

No. NEC 2005 is totally noncommital about it. In fact, GFI outlets have the 'test' and 'rest' buttons readable in either verticle position. However, Traister's 'Commercial Electrical Wiring' p.240 shows ground hole up in vertical orientation and neutral (longer) slot up for horizontal mounting as preferred practice.

Flip a coin and then just be consistant with the job as a whole.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Absatively right, and all of the recepticals in my home have their ground pin holes on the bottom, and I'm not about to change them until my home moaners insurance company says they'll cancel the policy if I don't.

Peace,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Yes, and the adapter is likely to block the other receptacle (or multiple receptacles).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Is that supposed to have the grounds pointing toward each other (so both receptacles sort of make an X), or grounds opposite (diamond pattern for both receptacles)? I say make them opposite.

If you REALLY want it to work, get one with the grounds on opposite ends, install it horizontally (hot up on both receptacles), use a shared neutral circuit and a FPE panel. Then install an automatic wet paperclip dispenser on the wall, directly over the outlet. :-)

Reply to
Sam E

I know someone who wanted a triple-male adapter once. Someone who got his gender mixed up for the holidays.

Reply to
Sam E

Completely agree with the paragraph above. I suppose type of plates may depend on what part of the country you live in. And certainly people use all types of material, wood, rock, etc. to make fancy plates.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

The NEC does not care

As a practical matter there is one exception to "it does not matter" - if you have two or more duplets receptacles side by side it makes sense to install them in *alternating orientations*, this makes it more likely you will able to optimize your insertion of a combinations of plugs and "wall-wart" transformers.

Everyone will make fun of your "sloppy" work, though 8^)

Reply to
MDT at Paragon Home Inspection

I have one outlet in each of several rooms that are switched outlets for lamps. These are oriented opposite the other outlets in the same rooms (cowgirl position - thanks for the nugget). At a fast glance I can tell it is switched (builder made). Other homes, switched like this were all oriented all the same, but the builder put a sticker on the plastic cover plate - I guess to indicate the switched outlet.

-- Oren

Oren