Proper outlet orientation

I had forgotten about that, but just checked about a dozen cords and found that to be true for all of them.

Even if the receptacle is installed with the ground hole up, and the cord is falling out (plug angled down as far as possible)?

If does seem like a small thing to worry about. I suppose if the screw holding the plate on came loose, and the plate slipped.

Sounds like you're comparing non-grounding and grounding plugs. There would be some difference in safety if the appliance had any exposed metal parts.
Considering non-grounding receptacles, I suppose there's no real safety advantage. There would be a convenience advantage, considering that if the receptacle was installed upside down, you would have to turn the plug differently than you thought.

Of course, that doesn't mean that air bags are of absolutely no importance.

Mark Lloyd
RicodJour wrote:

So think about what you just wrote, RicodJour.
With the most often seen "alien face" receptical orientation, if the plug were pulled out of the receptical maybe 1/16" and if a metal plate securing screw was missing and the moon was in its correct phase, vibration might cause the plate to move away from the wall and drop down so the upper edge of one of it's holes fell across the still connected hot and neutral plug prongs. That could cause arcing and possibly a spark ignited fire.
If the receptical were installed in the "cowgirl position" AND a grounded plug was "slightly uninserted", the loose plate would fall onto the plug's ground pin and no problem would ensue. Of course, that would only happen if the plug HAD a ground pin. It wouldn't help squat with a two prong (ungrounded) plug.
Capice now?
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

You left out the tinder under the receptacle from a nearby pencil sharpener, Jeff.
Why wouldn't the circuit breaker wouldn't trip in that situation? If that's not safe enough, put the receptacles with the loose cover plates and near the paper clip dispenser on a GFI. Hell, put the whole house on a GFI - that would actually do something to improve safety.
I could dream up a scenario that would compromise any system. Doesn't mean that it's going to happen, ever did happen, or that my time dreaming was well spent. This is the alt.home.repair version of how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.
RicodJour wrote:

Absatively right, and all of the recepticals in my home have their ground pin holes on the bottom, and I'm not about to change them until my home moaners insurance company says they'll cancel the policy if I don't.
Peace,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Eigenvector wrote:

With all the time you save doing half-hearted Borg searches and avoiding Your Friend Google, why stop with a local yokel? Go straight to NEMA. Contact AHJs worldwide and ask for their justifications for having a panoply of receptacle configurations.

Besides, who care what they think, I only care why my local inspector thinks.
Eigenvector posted for all of us...

a fundy putz. (I hope I didn't overstep there Rico)
--
Tekkie "There\'s no such thing as a tool I don\'t need."

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 00:51:57 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"

I change mine every week. I like changes in my life and this is my way to achieve change.
I think I like the ground down better though. It looks more like a face.
George E. Cawthon wrote:

I've seen the patents for two-prong polarized receptacles that are rotatable. The part you plug into is part of a sphere that can rotate inside it's socket so you can have the plug oriented however you'd like. Haven't seen a 3 prong patent, but then again I didn't look. ;)
I'm not sure anyone manufactures them. Anyone ever seen one of those suckers installed?
RicodJour wrote:

Seems Leviton has another solution. http://www.twacomm.com/catalog/model_ACSR6.htm?sidID42CC17E3537539AD5C3B0DCE2F3B3

http://www.twacomm.com/catalog/model_ACSR6.htm?sidID42CC17E3537539AD5C3B0DCE2F3B3
Now we can debate if the blue dot goes up or down?
Rich

"blue" is associated with depression, so it goes down.

The fifth bullet down: "Soothing blue Monitor/Indicator LED provides surge protection status at a glance".
105 bucks a pop.... -- Oren
Eigenvector posted for all of us...

question. WHEN WILL YOU LEARN?????
--
Tekkie "There\'s no such thing as a tool I don\'t need."

That's what I thought.
Eigenvector posted for all of us...

such an easy target because you are STUPID. -- Tekkie "There's no such thing as a tool I don't need."
I dont think the NEC stipulates either way. Authority having jurisditction could answer that.
If you have the ground down and the receptacle is loose and the cord end starts to fall out the ground will still be in. First make last break.
If you have the ground down and some how or another something metal falls across the hot and neutral if the cord is not plugged all the way in it will obviously short it.
6 of this and half a dozen of the other.
On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 17:11:08 -0700, "Eigenvector"

There are a lot of people with habitual ways of doing it, and a lot of rationalization to support those ways, but no particularly compelling reasons.
Ground up means falling conductors hit the ground first. Ground down means that if the plug falls out under it's own weight, the ground is the last to go. Ground down means it looks like a smiley face and attracts children. Ground up means that the short prongs are on the bottom where it's harder to see them when plugging things in.
I go with ground down because that's what I'm used to.
If you're not consistant about it, it looks sloppy and irritates the end-user. Was it me, I'd pick one direction for normal convenience outlets, and flip them upside down when I wanted to signal some special-case ones. (Like switched outlets, or outlets on a generator, or something.)
next time you grab a grounded cord to plug it in, look at it and see which way you've turned it. That's how the recepticle should go.
--Goedjn