Proper height of Baseboard

Page 2 of 2

sid wrote:

Best method is to install it after the carpet, and do whatever looks right, IMHO. If you are afraid of paint on the carpet, 1/2" will work. If there is a visible gap, you can always add shoe mold.
--
aem sends...

Typically, we would cut pieces of scrap baseboard and use them to hold the actual baseboard off the floor when we'd nail it in place. That would place it at 1/2" off the floor, typically and that's sufficient for about any carpet. The pad is laid to about the tackless strip, so all that fits under the baseboard is the edge of the carpet, and that can be compressed..
Micajah

Personally, I don't see the correlation between the carpet and the baseboard. The baseboard is a trim to make pretty between the wall and the floor. If you want to add carpet, fine, but if you take the carpet away, anything but close to the floor looks like crap.
The industry standard is to do a good job of trimming, little or no gap.