Proper GFCI installation

I am replacing an older GFCI. There are two cables coming into the box. The black wires are spliced together and the two white wires are spliced together and both are pigtailed into the GFCI. I tried to wire the new GFCI the same way and it will not reset. It is a Leviton with smartlock and the instructions tell me to wire it with load to cover the downstream outlets.I do not want the downstream outlets protected. Is there a way to wire the GFCI to get around this
Yes, wire the pigtails to the "line" hot and neutral terminals

dclutch wrote:

Connect the original pigtails to the line terminals and it will protect only itself.
--
Tom Horne

I have found that some of the Leviton reset buttons need some persuasion. Try using a screwdriver to push the button in.
dclutch wrote:

Say now, did you expect that asking the same question on this newsgroup twice within a couple of hours would double your chances of having someone explain to you what you probably did wrong?
Just wondering....
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

IMHO:
1. Only qualifed electricians should work with electricity.
2. Follow the manufactures directions.
3. Verifty you have the pigtailed leads hooked up to the proper terminals. If you are only looking to protect this receptacle, then the terminals should be "Line".
4. Ensure you wired correctly. "hot" to brass/gold screw, and "neutral" to silver screw. Equipment "Grounding" wire to green screw.
5. Make sure the wire connections are tight. I.E. check under wire nuts, wires secure in terminals, etc.
hth,
tom @ www.MedJobSite.com
Tom The Great wrote:

Don't be an ass.