Proper fasteners for ACQ treated lumber?

I recently began a constructing a swing set/fort for the kids. The lumber is ACQ treated. I followed the advice of the salesman at Lowe's and HD and picked up carriage bolts, washers, and lock nuts. These were a mix of electroplated zinc coated as well as galvanized. None of the home centers state how thick the coating is on their fasteners.

I assembled a portion of the playset, and a week later I needed to partially disassemble it to make a modification. I was shocked to find the portion of the carriage bolt and washer which had been in contact with the wood had much of its coating eaten away and was turning orange.

I have checked, and the prices for these fasteners in stainless steel is higher than I want to pay. Does anyone have any advice on which fasteners I should use? Am I over reacting to the corrosion I found after only one week? The manager at a local deck building supply store told me that this is normal and not to worry about it.

These bolts need to be 3/8" x 5 1/2".

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
scott

I'm getting ready to try 16d common nails and see what happens. If/when they rust out, I'll replace them with hot dipped galvanized lag bolts. I don't think my father had any problems with steel fence staples rusting out when he used Wolmanized posts.

From what I've read, you're *supposed* to use stainless steel, or hot dipped galvanized, or 1/2" diameter plain steel bolts for ACQ lumber. I bet copper nails would work best. (Do they still make copper nails?)

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

You have two choices. Stainless steel. or hot double-dipped galvanized. Those are the two options that ACQ p.t. wood makers recommend.

Reply to
Retiredff

You're being penny wise and dollar foolish. The difference in cost between the SS and galvanized is less than you'll spend on a restaurant meal. Look at it this way, the SS works as it should. When the kids get their drivers' licenses you can disassemble the playset without the aggravation of rusted fasteners. Keep the hardware for other projects, or sell the whole thing to another generation and keep it out of the landfill.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

I heard today that Lowes is paying for 30 new homes that are falling apart within 6 to 8 months of construction. The lumber, including ACQ lumber, was purchased at Lowes and the sales people did not tell them to use special fasteners. Sixteen penny common nails are corroding completely away in 6-8 months time. And contrary to projections of ACQ prices being "a little bit higher", they are almost double the older prices. Another government boondoggle!

Bob

Reply to
Bob S.