Propane transfer hose

Page 1 of 2
I've got a couple part full propane tanks, and would like to transfer some of the propane, and take the (now) empties to fill.
Refrigeration guys used to do this with "Freon" using a hose, and chill the destinaton bottle. Anything like this exist for propane? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
You can buy hoses suitable for connecting a propane tank to a bar-b-que at any propane distributor. Maybe you can just butcher two such hoses to make a propane bottle to propane bottle transfer hose.
--
nestork

Good thought. I also find them sometimes on curb side. Sometimes the regulators are right at the tank fitting, so might need some work to make it function. Thanks for the good idea. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
You can buy hoses suitable for connecting a propane tank to a bar-b-que at any propane distributor. Maybe you can just butcher two such hoses to make a propane bottle to propane bottle transfer hose.
--
nestork

lators are right at the tank fitting, so might need some work to make it fu nction. Thanks for the good idea.

i think it may be more complicated..
the tank is filled partly with liquid and partly with vapor. the connection is set up to let out only the vapor. in fact I think if you turn the tank upside down to try to flow fluid out, there is a valve that closes to prevent the flow of liquid. when you go to a refill place, they have a special setup to flow liquid. If you are going to transfer by vapor only (by cooling the destination tank), it will take a long time to transfer a significant amount..
but I am only guessing at this, i could be wrong, anybody know for sure? I'd also like to know a good way to transfer propane...
Mark
On 06/17/2013 10:41 AM, Mark wrote:

I refill my little one pound bottle from the big tank just fine. The trick is to invert the big tank so that the liquid can settle down into the little tank, which is at a lower position. This way, the density of the liquid propane, being greater than that of the gas, will go into the lower receptacle.

Any of the places I go to use a pump to put the liquid into the tank. In the big tank they have, the fill tube goes down into the liquid.
Jon
I don't know if the OPD gadget prevents the tank from dispensing liquid if the tank is upside down. One of the great learning moments of the world. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
i think it may be more complicated..
the tank is filled partly with liquid and partly with vapor. the connection is set up to let out only the vapor. in fact I think if you turn the tank upside down to try to flow fluid out, there is a valve that closes to prevent the flow of liquid. when you go to a refill place, they have a special setup to flow liquid. If you are going to transfer by vapor only (by cooling the destination tank), it will take a long time to transfer a significant amount..
but I am only guessing at this, i could be wrong, anybody know for sure? I'd also like to know a good way to transfer propane...
Mark
On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 8:29:31 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yes, I believe the valve will close if you turn the new tanks upside down. You need a pump of some sort. It's just not worth it. You must have devices that use propane. Use the tanks up.
On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 08:43:24 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
are right at the tank fitting, so might need some work to make it function. Thanks for the good idea.

Buy the proper fittings to do it safely - in brass.
on ebay at the moment - http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Propane-Refill-Adapter-Lp-Gas-Cylinder-Tank-Coupler-USA-Made-Heater-/230816025641
or google Mr. Heater F276172 or (Amazon.com product link shortened)
or Harbour Fright - http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-bottle-refill-kit-45989.html
If you are going to do something "stupid" you may as well do it as safely as possible.
And by the way - it is not illegal to refill a container, but it IS illegal to transport it.
Congratulations! You have provided three links to the WRONG item, one which I already have, and have used, and doesn't do what I originally asked for. Please collect your prize between 9 AM and 5 PM EDT. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 08:43:24 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
Buy the proper fittings to do it safely - in brass.
on ebay at the moment - http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Propane-Refill-Adapter-Lp-Gas-Cylinder-Tank-Couple r-USA-Made-Heater-/230816025641
or google Mr. Heater F276172 or (Amazon.com product link shortened)
or Harbour Fright - http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-bottle-refill-kit-45989.html
If you are going to do something "stupid" you may as well do it as safely as possible.
And by the way - it is not illegal to refill a container, but it IS illegal to transport it.
On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 21:06:35 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Yes, I noticed after that you were talking about consolidating the propane from several almost empty tanks into one.
You STILL need something other than the hoses from a barBQ. You need hoses for high pressure gas that can also withstand the cold from evapourating liquid - and without a pump you need a fairly healthy temperature differential between the donor and reciever tanks.
So the "if you are going to do something stupid" part is even more germaine to the discussion.
There should be very little evaporating liquid in the system I describe. And no "cold from evaporating liquid" either. As I wrote earlier, refrigeration guys used to tranfer refrigerants using this system, over the years. Before the massive government interference, of course. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Yes, I noticed after that you were talking about consolidating the propane from several almost empty tanks into one.
You STILL need something other than the hoses from a barBQ. You need hoses for high pressure gas that can also withstand the cold from evapourating liquid - and without a pump you need a fairly healthy temperature differential between the donor and reciever tanks.
So the "if you are going to do something stupid" part is even more germaine to the discussion.
On Jun 16, 10:44 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Most U-Haul locations fill propane tanks by the gallon. The price per gallon will vary (widely) by location, but near me the per gallon price times the number of gallons to fill an empty tank is very close to the one-price-fits-all cost to refill a tank (even a half-full one) at BJ's Wholesale. In other words, BJ's charges you full price first and then fills your tank. No refund if you only need half a tank. U- Haul fills your tank and then charges you only for what you needed.
Just take all of your tanks to U-Haul and get them topped off at the per gallon price.
However, if you are dead set on transferring the gas from one tank to another, maybe you can do something with the following info...
I have no idea if this could be used for your application, but when we camped a lot, I used to this to fill the 1 lb propane canisters from my 20 lb tank:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
I recall that I would turn the 20 lb tank over and let her rip. I don't think it filled the 1 lb canisters all the way, but it sure was cheaper than buying new 1 pounders before each camping trip.
To use this for 20 lb to 20 lb transfer, you might need some more adaptors and a hose, at which point, unless you are doing it quite frequenly, you'll never recover the cost of the equipment vs. simply paying full price to fill to fill your tanks (assuming no U-Hauls in the area).
Thanks for the idea, but that gadget won't be any help. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
However, if you are dead set on transferring the gas from one tank to another, maybe you can do something with the following info...
I have no idea if this could be used for your application, but when we camped a lot, I used to this to fill the 1 lb propane canisters from my 20 lb tank:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
I recall that I would turn the 20 lb tank over and let her rip. I don't think it filled the 1 lb canisters all the way, but it sure was cheaper than buying new 1 pounders before each camping trip.
To use this for 20 lb to 20 lb transfer, you might need some more adaptors and a hose, at which point, unless you are doing it quite frequenly, you'll never recover the cost of the equipment vs. simply paying full price to fill to fill your tanks (assuming no U-Hauls in the area).
On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 8:28:43 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

What about my U-Haul suggestion (apparently snipped) that you top off the tanks on a price-per-gallon basis?
That sure seems like the easiest and most cost effective solution.
Perhaps this is just an exercise in creative problem solving with no need for an actual, practical solution?
That means making more trips to the store with part full tanks. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
What about my U-Haul suggestion (apparently snipped) that you top off the tanks on a price-per-gallon basis?
That sure seems like the easiest and most cost effective solution.
Perhaps this is just an exercise in creative problem solving with no need for an actual, practical solution?

Umm...let's see...maybe take all of the partially full tanks in be trip?
Wow! What a concept!
I called the camp ground, see if they can loan me a pickup truck. They cannot. Do you have a pickup truck you can loan me for a day?
My vehicle(s) at present won't carry eight thirty pounder tanks. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
wrote:

Umm...let's see...maybe take all of the partially full tanks in be trip?
Wow! What a concept!

In an earlier post you hinted that one of us wasn't staying on topic. We are certainly in a grey area here.
First, let's start with the info you originally provided: "I've got a couple part full propane tanks"
Now, less than 72 hours later, you tell us "My vehicle(s) at present won't carry eight thirty pounder tanks."
So, either you've changed the requirements from "a couple" (2) to "8 partially full tanks" or you've (stupidly) used some propane from 6 full tanks when you should have been drawing down from the partially full tanks. Which is it?
You really shouldn't (sarcastically) ask me to lend you a pick up truck when my suggestion was based entirely on the information ("a couple...of tanks") that you originally provided to the group.
Second, "...and would like to transfer some of the propane, and take the (now) empties to fill."
Granted, your question was how to transfer propane from one tank to another, but that shouldn't preclude anyone from for offering suggestions that will ultimately result in your final goal, which appears to be that you want all of your tanks to be full. The whole concept behind this ng is to offer suggestions that result in fulfilling the final objective, especially if it appears that there is a much simpler solution than what the OP is thinking of doing. Let's try another example...
Let's say someone asks this question:
"I need to paint a room and the only painting equipment I have is a Home Depot brand 2" brush and Purdy 2" brush. Which do think is the better quality brush for painting this room."
Would you complain that we were off-topic if we suggested that the OP buy a roller? After all, his "on-topic" question was which is the better quality brush.
All I did was offer a suggestion that will ultimately get you to your final goal, based on the (now apparently incorrect) information that you provided.
I eagerly await your next sarcastic response.
OK, so you admit that you're off topic, thread drifting, mind reading what is my ultimate (but not stated) goal, and now working on incorrect information. Do I have it, so far? Just checking. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

trip?

(snip) Now, less than 72 hours later, you tell us "My vehicle(s) at present won't carry eight thirty pounder tanks."
(snip) Granted, your question was how to transfer propane from one tank to another, but that shouldn't preclude anyone from for offering suggestions that will ultimately result in your final goal, which appears to be that you want all of your tanks to be full.
(snip) All I did was offer a suggestion that will ultimately get you to your final goal, based on the (now apparently incorrect) information that you provided.
I eagerly await your next sarcastic response.
On Jun 19, 11:18 am, "Stormin Mormon"

t is my ultimate (but not stated) goal, and now working on incorrect inform ation. Do I have it, so far? Just checking.

?

I see that you are not willing to admit that you gave us inaccurate information. I see you'd rather change the subject than admit your error.
There is obviously no need for you to directly address your "couple" vs. 8 statements because I think that would be thread drift, right?
As far as your stated goal, it was "and take the (now) empties to fill." The end result is that you want at least some, if not all, of your tanks to eventually be full, correct? Topping off the partially full tanks accomplishes that goal. Whether you do it in your yard or have U-Haul do it in theirs, you'd still end up with full tanks.
If you can stop being so sarcastic for just a second, you might see how my U-Haul suggestion works perfectly fine based on the original information given.
You are one of the many members of this group who often (correctly) requests that posters supply enough information for us to provide an decent answer and yet here you are either giving out incorrect information in your OP or possibly making stuff up later on as a means to shoot down the suggestions of those that are trying help you. There is obviously no need for you and I to continue this discussion since odds are you'll just keep twisting the facts to make yourself look right. I'm OK with that if it makes you feel better because, after all, my only goal was to try and help you out. If I can't help you get your tanks full, I can at least make your ego soar by providing an outlet for your sarcastic comments. Either way, I feel that I have been of some assistance to you.
I wish you the best of luck in finding the correct hoses and regulators to transfer the gas from one of your 2 tanks to the other 1 or from some of your 8 to 3 or 4 or however many it takes for you to end up with empty tanks. Once the transfer is complete, I wish you the best of luck in finding a vehicle that can carry however many tanks you need to get filled or I wish you the best of luck that you can combine other errands with your tank filling trips so that you don't have to make multiple trips just to get propane assuming you can't carry all of your empty tanks in one load.