Propane too Expensive for Generator

I have a generator outdoors, that will turn on if the power goes off. But the generator needs propage to operate. The cost of propane is very high right now, and they require as minimum of 200 gallons, before they will come to fill the tank. These 200 gallons would cost me around $860. NO WAY am I going to spend that much!
I decided it was time to replace the generator. A local company quoted me about $4650.00 for a gasoline operated generator, and told me I will need to change the gas at least every 3 months so it dont get stale. That's way too much money, and changing the gas sounds like a huge hassle.
So, I've decided to just replace the engine on my generator with a large electric motor. The engine is a 12HP, so I guessed I need a 12HP electric motor to run the generator. I can buy a used 12HP electric motor for about $600. A few hours work and I'll have the engine replaced with this electric motor. Thats cheaper than the propane and much cheaper than a new generator, plus I wont have to ever buy propane or gasoline again.
Saving money involves using your brain, and I just proved that....

Great idea. I have a similar system so let me give you an operating tip. In order to start the generator you need some electricity for the motor. I keep a 100' extension cord pre-charged with electric. When the lights go out, just plug it in and off you go!
On 2/21/14, 9:55 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I've heard that those cords don't hold a charge for very long. I'd go with solar panels and/or a wind turbine.
On 2/21/2014 10:13 PM, Retired wrote:

You have to keep the cord in a bucket of ethanol made from corn. That helps keep water from shorting out the precharge.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

and

propane

They work pretty well if you keep them tightly coiled.

No, an even better idea is a solar cell connected to the motor. Virgil is so bright he could provide all the power without the generator, but it would be DC
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

on the Tonight Show last night they had a 16 year old girl who has invented an LED flashlight that works off of body heat
On 2/22/2014 12:31 AM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

Lets see, she gave it to the host and then flashed her <body part> at the host?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 13:40:29 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

They all know that going in. The ODD system has a dual-mode inverter with a transfer switch built in - allowing the panels to power a stand-alone inverter. To get any real utility out of such a system you would also need a battery bank.

Use during a power failure is one reason I'd want solar. Will they work not tied to the grid?

no and yes
On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 20:31:56 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

This is a very good idea. Once your neighbors hear about it, they will be jealous. But now that it's running on electricity, you can keep it safe in the garage or the basement.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

You are wasting your talent, you are ready for Washington, DC politics.