Propane too Expensive for Generator

I have a generator outdoors, that will turn on if the power goes off. But the generator needs propage to operate. The cost of propane is very high right now, and they require as minimum of 200 gallons, before they will come to fill the tank. These 200 gallons would cost me around $860. NO WAY am I going to spend that much!

I decided it was time to replace the generator. A local company quoted me about $4650.00 for a gasoline operated generator, and told me I will need to change the gas at least every 3 months so it dont get stale. That's way too much money, and changing the gas sounds like a huge hassle.

So, I've decided to just replace the engine on my generator with a large electric motor. The engine is a 12HP, so I guessed I need a 12HP electric motor to run the generator. I can buy a used 12HP electric motor for about $600. A few hours work and I'll have the engine replaced with this electric motor. Thats cheaper than the propane and much cheaper than a new generator, plus I wont have to ever buy propane or gasoline again.

Saving money involves using your brain, and I just proved that....

Reply to
Virgil.Otterby82

Great idea. I have a similar system so let me give you an operating tip. In order to start the generator you need some electricity for the motor. I keep a 100' extension cord pre-charged with electric. When the lights go out, just plug it in and off you go!

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've heard that those cords don't hold a charge for very long. I'd go with solar panels and/or a wind turbine.

Reply to
Retired

No, an even better idea is a solar cell connected to the motor. Virgil is so bright he could provide all the power without the generator, but it would be DC

Reply to
clare

This is a very good idea. Once your neighbors hear about it, they will be jealous. But now that it's running on electricity, you can keep it safe in the garage or the basement.

Reply to
micky

on the Tonight Show last night they had a 16 year old girl who has invented an LED flashlight that works off of body heat

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

You are wasting your talent, you are ready for Washington, DC politics.

Reply to
Ken

You have to keep the cord in a bucket of ethanol made from corn. That helps keep water from shorting out the precharge.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Lets see, she gave it to the host and then flashed her at the host?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm surprised we are not hearing much from disgruntled solar panel owners w ho found out during the recent power failures that your utility approved g rid tie inverter won,t make ANY power without a grid to tie to. I can,t im agine having 50,000 worth of solar panels on the roof and not being able to use them when you need them the most.

Mark

Reply to
makolber

They all know that going in. The ODD system has a dual-mode inverter with a transfer switch built in - allowing the panels to power a stand-alone inverter. To get any real utility out of such a system you would also need a battery bank.

Reply to
clare

Use during a power failure is one reason I'd want solar. Will they work not tied to the grid?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

no and yes

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Retired wrote in news:j- OdnZNV_JVXiJXOnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

They work pretty well if you keep them tightly coiled.

Reply to
KenK