Propane tank, tree, lightning question

We've got a 500 gal propane tank about 20 ft from the house. THere' plenty of lighning in this region and I'm thinking that planting a tree 5 or 10 feet from the tank might be inviting trouble.

Any pro or con thoughts?

Thnx

Reply to
Jack S

I lived thirteen years in a house with a propane tank less than 20' from the house, and a hackberry tree about 6' from the tank. Never had a problem, and, while central Indiana isn't quite like central Florida, we get plenty of thunderstorms here.

FWIW, the house had lightning rods.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Hi,

I also have a propane tank about 20 foot from my house. Right by it there is a bunch of trees like 60 feet tall. My well has been taken out twice by lightning still no trouble with the tank. I do now have lightning rods on the house though. This year my well did not get zapped (hooooor-ayh!).

I think it is safe and this is my thought process. Think about an airplane. They get zapped now and again by lighting. What happens is that the lightning takes the easiest route to ground. I.E. around the passenger cabin and out the other side. No zap inside the aircraft. I think the same hapens to the gas tank. Any lighning will travel around the tank in the steel shell and then via the feet into the ground. No spark.

Best, Mike.

Reply to
hobbes

The thickness of the tank is such that it can take a direct strike without damage. There have been cases were the copper line between the tank and the building has gotten pinholes, but that can be prevented by proper bonding. It happens with water lines, also.

Reply to
Bill