Propane tank / lightening question

How vulnerable are those 500 gal home propane tanks to lightening?

Are any particular grounding or other precautions useful?

thanks

Reply to
Kurt Gavin

Hmmm, Tank is almost at ground level and I don't remember ever hearing of hit on the tank.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I would follow local codes and you should be safe.

The tanks are metal and totally enclosed. There is not oxygen in the tank so unless the tank ruptures it is safe. The electricity will run around the tank, the same way it does if your car gets hit by lightning. Sort of like a Faraday cage.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

All the folks I know lighten them with white paint, or sometimes silver paint.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Other things can happen. I know a guy that had a large tank on his property for the purpose of fueling his balloon tank, about 45 gallons. He had a heater on the tanks to keep the propane volatile in the midst of winter. When he came down in the morning and flipped on the light switch, an explosion occurred. The shed was destroyed, a wall on his house was burned, he suffered burns and was in a hospital for several days. I can guarantee that he obeyed all the rules and laws. But there must have been a tiny leak somewhere.

Reply to
Stubby

Hmmm, Didn't he know there is winter grade propane? Like winter grade gasoline?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yep, all bets are off if there is a leak in the tank. Propane is more of a problem in some cases when it comes to leaks as it tends to "pool" in low spots unlike NG that tends to float up.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Actually, painting them makes them heavier.

Reply to
Avery

They are to heavy to steal

Reply to