Propane rip-off

Page 3 of 9
1D10T wrote:

But unlike coffee, ice cream, etc., where the reduced volume or weight is on the package, the propane tanks have no indication that the they're not being filled as full as possible. This is simply fraud, and the retailers and suppliers should be sued in a class action lawsuit.

How about Breyers whipping air into the product to increase volume.

That's not why you whip air into ice cream, dimwit.

I don't; Breyers does.
A chemical research team in Britain discovered a method of doubling the amount of air in ice cream, which allowed manufacturers to use *less of the actual ingredients*, thereby reducing costs. The incorporation of air into ice cream is what the trade refers to as overrun. All commercial ice creams have "overrun," a term applied to the amount of air they contain. The percentage of overrun ranges from 0 (no air) to 200, a theoretical figure that would be all air. The legal overrun limit for ice cream is 100 percent, which would amount to half air. Ice cream needs some air or it would be rock-hard. But one with 100 percent overrun would have so little body that it would feel mushy in the mouth; it would also melt extremely fast. An ice cream with the more desirable proportion of 20 to 50 percent overrun (10 to 25 percent air) would be denser, creamier and eminently more satisfying. Since the overrun is not required to be listed on the package, the only way to be absolutely sure is to weigh the carton. Ice cream with a 50 percent overrun (25 percent air) will weigh about 18 ounces per pint (subtract about 1 1/2 ounces for the weight of the container). The weight of the ice cream will be proportionately higher with a lower percentage of overrun.
Breyers has so much overrun that when it melts it looks like a wet sponge, not the creamy appearance one would expect to see. It also has a "grainy" texture in the mouth. If it wouldn't require the purchase of a Breyers' product, I'd do the weight test, although just handling it and comparing with other brands, it is lighter.
My bad for not stating "How about Breyers whipping *excessive* air into the product to increase volume.
Do a little research before you make another childish comment, dipshit.

You shall remain an idiot. There is excessive overrun in your head.
Your typical constructive and informative contribution to the group.

You must be pretty new here, putz.

Long enough to know that you have made almost 700 replies and only ONE original post (Bagster) since 12/26/07. Your replies are all typically critical of the person you reply to and condescending as hell. Get lost sap! You're not worth any more of my time.

You shall remain an idiot.... and your newbie staus is firmly established.
If you don't like it here, then stick a rope up your ass and climb it.

Every ice cream maker (including me) whips some air into the product. The question is how much. I'd like to compare the old stuff from years ago to the present.
1D10T wrote:

For all their recent faults, that's not something they do.
If you ever look at ice cream at a store at high elevation, the store brands will typically have the lids popping off from the expansion of the excessive air. The Breyer's and the Haagen Daaz will have their lids intact. I notice this whenever I'm up near Lake Tahoe and buy ice cream.

They usually have a level indication on the side. The change in temperature between empty and occupied space displays on the indicator.
There's also medication to help you with your paranoia.

Usually? Where do you get tanks that have an indicator on the side?
I've seen them as after-market devices, but I can't say that I've ever seen one on any tank I've bought or exchanged for.

Where is this level indication? I have been using propane tanks for years and I have yet to see a new or refilled tank come with a level indication.

Huh? Since this thread appeared, I started noticing the tank exchanges at various places -- every single one had the weight (15 lbs in most cases) prominently displayed, large enough to be visible from 10-15 feet away. I don't recall if the tanks themselves had wrappers (they were behind a cage), but if so I'm sure the weight was listed there also. Just like coffee, ice cream, etc (actually the ones I saw were more prominent)
Has anyone actually seen a display not indicate this? At an otherwise-reputable retailer?
Josh

all sorts of products have been downsized lately. You have to check everything.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

It doesn't matter what or how you check. Will you quit buying necessities because you're getting screwed?
I might take my propane tanks to the local fill place, where they provide an honest fill.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

that's where I got my propane tank filled;Ace Hardware. You can watch the guy fill while it's on the scale.
And I get my own tank back,not somebody else's tank.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik