Propane rip-off

I haven't exchanged a tank in a while. Going by what you are saying I assume that the exchanged tank would be marked if it contained 15 pounds instead of the normal 18 or 19. Is this why you are saying "RTFL - Read the ... label" ?
Jim Yanik wrote:

Fuel delivery trucks are checked a yearly, at least, by the state with a calibrated device, adjusted, and sealed.

One thing I hadn't noticed in all the replies to this thread was using natural gas. I specifically sought out an outdoor grill that uses natural, and can't be more pleased. No more wondering when the tank was going to give up, no lugging it, and its spare, off to the fill station, and certainly not being shocked at the prices those tank exchanges that proliferate at "convenience" stores charge.
One fellow I know did just that. Put in a gas line to his outdoor grill. That's fine as long as the natural gas is working. Which is essentially all the time.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Great idea. I can have it done for about $25,000 or so.

We had to run a new line 100' to a location farther from the cabin. Used the old tank. Cost of changeover ......... $527. The prices in your area must be higher.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

Likely he means there is no natural gas on the street. My brother was in a similar situation. The nearest line was only 1/2 block away (maybe 250') and they wanted $9,000 quite some time ago to extend the line. He had the piping in his house sized for natural gas and put propane in and waited. Maybe five years ago they extended the line down his street to serve other new homes and he had them put a drop in to his house.

Digging up the street for two blocks to the nearest gas line is considerably more than moving to a new location on your own property.
At work I had a gas line put in for about 120 feet. Took a crew about 4 days. Removed asphalt, trenched 48", hit rock and hammered away at it for about a day and a half. It was a freebie though as we are a large user (up to $20,000 a month)
Think of all the gasoline you'll save, going to the store.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Most grills can be rejetted for NG and that definitely is a convenience. However, if you like using a very hot grill, you may find that NG isn't to your liking as the BTU content isn't as high as LPG. The manual that comes with the conversion kit will show you the BTU difference after conversion - it's usually in the neighborhood of 10% less.
Of course, if you have a 500 gal tank supplying your house, running the grill off the house supply requires no conversion!

but that's not what meters the gas going into your car's tank,and determining how much you pay.
the delivery trucks are the stations concern,not the end consumer.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

You are responding to posts about the "home fuel delivery man" who brings a truck of fuel to a house. The meters on the delivery truck going to the house are certainly of concern to the end consumer.

Oh,we went from exchange tanks to gasoline station pumps,to home propane delivery. Wow.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
"Jim Yanik" wrote:

Welcome to usenet. ;)
Jon

it's interesting how the threads drift OT.... but hard to keep up with,especially when someone top posts.
Which ISNT Usenet convention.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
ransley wrote:

Because their meters are certified by weights and measures inspectors just like those in gasoline stations are. My buddy has a liquid fuels business and he gets notices to bring selected trucks to a location where he pumps a specified amount into a graduated container and the inspector verifies the accuracy. If it passes he seals the meter and applies a sticker. When they deliver fuel the meter stamps the beginning and ending pump reading on the ticket.

I nobody is looking, what is to stop him from pumping some of the fuel back into the tank on his truck? -- I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets. They were all gourmands!
On Sun, 24 May 2009 06:39:46 -0700, Daniel Prince

There is no way to do that easily, and if there was, he would more than likely get a lot of sediment mixed in anyway. Then, there is the issue of how would the delivery guy benefit? He generally is just a peon working for hourly wages, not the owner. If he got caught, he would go to jail for theft, anyway.
It simply ain't gonna happen.
http://tinyurl.com/qrhlwt
That's not good!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

The Shrink Ray strikes again, just like groceries (4 # sugar, 11 oz. pounds of coffee, etc.). Container stays the same, content gets smaller, price remains the same, and if you do inquire, they claim it's to avoid price increases. That's an insult to our intelligence because it's not disclosed to the consumer, on the container or in the store. They're counting on the stupidity of the average American consumer. What's next, 3 qt. gas gallons?