Propane rip-off

Page 1 of 9
Saw this on another newsgroup. Seems as though the big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling them all the way now.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/ap_on_bi_ge/us_skimping_on_propane_2
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Same for most everything you get at the grocery store. It's all about concern for the consumer safety: lighter packages means less chance of back injuries.
Bryce wrote:

Lou

... and adds one great big PITA. As y'all may have noticed, I am really pissed off about this kind of deceit, as well as other labeling bullshit. An example: Ask Breyer's (Unilever) about this issue and also why how they get away with calling tara gum, locust bean gum, guar gum, vegetable mono-and-diglycerides, and other additives "Natural" ingredients. What the HELL is natural about this shit in ice cream?

Breyers vanilla used to be: milk, cream, sugar, vanilla. No need to add all that other crap after many years of real purity.
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

I remember when I would buy it for that exact reason. Haven't had any in awhile; sorry to hear they started adding crap to it.
Jon

Add to this: Ice-structuring proteins, corn-syrup, cellulose gum, carob gum, polysorbate 80, glucose, carrageenan and whey sourced from meat-based rennet. Also, tara gum is indigestible and ice cream containing it can melt and then be refrozen and us consumers will have little clue. Let a bowl of Breyer's "All Natural" melt and instead of a creamy puddle, it looks like wet styrofoam. It is made with a certain amount of overmix, the percentage of entrained air to increase volume. Weigh a 'pint' of Breyer's and compare it to other brands. Look here: http://adailyscoop.com/2006/09/11/breyers-natural-ice-cream-and-tara-gum-unilevers-response/
1D10T wrote: <snip>

Heh. I still remember this commmercial from the '80s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-GlBK82nuA

Still, I guess locust beans are natural, just like asbestos and radium.
    At least the manufacturers' are giving us about 20% less in most packages now-"Now! With 20% LESS fat and calories!" Thought they were doing it do avoid the more-obvious method of jacking the price up. Oh, now they did that, also. Still, it's only because gas is $4.00 a gallon. Um, wait....
    My last raise was fairly good, but I feel I've lost ground overall. Word is raises this year will be "minimal" due to the economic situation. *sigh*
    I feel depressed now. I can't even cheer myself up with a bowl of Breyer's. Hey, I know! I'll check the balance in my retirement account!
--
PB
"I suspect you\'re an arrogant little pissant who grew up in the

It's not natural to be in Ice Cream, but it's not "man made" - it's "natural"

I still like Breyers better than other similarly priced brands. Won't eat Edys,gave me intestinal distress,Ben n Jerry's supports leftist causes.
Breyer's Triple Chocolate,YUM! love that dark chocolate icecream; it reminds me of the Baskin Robbins caterers chocolate,that I can't find anymore.It seems the BR's in my area no longer carry 33 flavors,but only a smaller subset.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Bryce wrote:

There is a big difference, the items in the grocery store must adjust the designated unit of measurement on the packaging, but the consumer is left to assume a 20lb. propane tank has the maximum amount of propane allowed put into the tank. It would be more acceptable if the gas provider put a disclaimer on the tank wrap. That way an savvy consumer can decide if they want to swap tanks or refill.

Also, less propane means fewer lawsuits from neighbors hurt in the explosion.

Cheating, the oldest job known to man. Time for the billionth new law? If gasolene pumps were not verified randomly you would be cheated when you fill your car, how do you know the home fuel delivery man doesnt cheat you, if you are not there.
On Sat, 23 May 2009 04:50:29 -0700 (PDT), ransley

The home fuel delivery man inserts a card in a meter that stamps the beginning and end of the pumping cycle. It shows how many gallons were pumped to the hundreths of a gallon. He leaves that card stuck in your kitchen door.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote in wrote:

who checks/verifies the truck's meter?
At least the State has inspections and calibrates the gas pumps,puts a sticker on the pump right where you can see it.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

For a person that yells capitalism at every turn. You sure want government protection. Make up yer cotton pickin mind. I'm tired of you yellow bellies crying the blues.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Capitalism and government certainly are not mutually exclusive. Capitalism needs government protection to function properly, but it suffers under onerous government overkill.
Government can and should ensure the consumer or buyer has all available information about something to make an informed decision, whether it relates to a security's performance or the accurate quantity of a commodity.

The sign of a "true conservative": Cries of "There should be a law against that!" the second something affects THEM.
Whatever happened to personal responsibility? You're responsible for making sure that you get what you paid for. If you assumed that package of ice cream was a half gallon (64 fl. oz) and you find out that it's only 56 fl. oz. when you get home, isn't that YOUR fault for making the assumption?
On May 26, 1:22pm, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

I've been trying to get that exact point across to Mr. Pawlowski for 2 days now.
I'm glad somebody else feels the same way I do.
RTFL - Read the ... label
I've been trying to get that exact point across to Mr. Pawlowski for 2 days now.
I'm glad somebody else feels the same way I do.
RTFL - Read the ... label
We actually agree on personal responsibility. I just go one step further for corporate responsibility also.
We went from the 17# propane to the 15#. Next year will it be 13#? The year after 11#? Then 9, then 7 then 5 then 3?
While you may never admit it, you probably have not checked that label every time for the past many years. (I don't exchange so I never have). but people do expect certain things to take place. They expect the oil change in their car will have the oil properly topped up, even though running a half quart low is not a big deal. It is expected that milk bottles will be filled, we expect that our houses are framed with the proper amount of nails in each stud. That the dentist fill your tooth all the way.
The real fact is, the gas companies went to a lower quantity figuring few people will notice that the price has been increased. It is marketing and corporate shenanigans at its worst. At least Exxon gave us a full gallon when they charged us $4.