Propane rip-off: big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling them all the way

Saw this on another newsgroup. Seems as though the big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling them all the way now.

Ed Pawlowski

Same for most everything you get at the grocery store. It's all about concern for the consumer safety: lighter packages means less chance of back injuries.

Reply to
Bryce

Cheating, the oldest job known to man. Time for the billionth new law? If gasolene pumps were not verified randomly you would be cheated when you fill your car, how do you know the home fuel delivery man doesnt cheat you, if you are not there.

Reply to
ransley

That's not good!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The home fuel delivery man inserts a card in a meter that stamps the beginning and end of the pumping cycle. It shows how many gallons were pumped to the hundreths of a gallon. He leaves that card stuck in your kitchen door.

Reply to
salty

Because their meters are certified by weights and measures inspectors just like those in gasoline stations are. My buddy has a liquid fuels business and he gets notices to bring selected trucks to a location where he pumps a specified amount into a graduated container and the inspector verifies the accuracy. If it passes he seals the meter and applies a sticker. When they deliver fuel the meter stamps the beginning and ending pump reading on the ticket.

Reply to
George

The Shrink Ray strikes again, just like groceries (4 # sugar, 11 oz. pounds of coffee, etc.). Container stays the same, content gets smaller, price remains the same, and if you do inquire, they claim it's to avoid price increases. That's an insult to our intelligence because it's not disclosed to the consumer, on the container or in the store. They're counting on the stupidity of the average American consumer. What's next, 3 qt. gas gallons?

Reply to
1D10T

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:bEKRl.19894$8 snipped-for-privacy@flpi147.ffdc.sbc.com:

all sorts of products have been downsized lately. You have to check everything.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

who checks/verifies the truck's meter?

At least the State has inspections and calibrates the gas pumps,puts a sticker on the pump right where you can see it.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

It doesn't matter what or how you check. Will you quit buying necessities because you're getting screwed?

Reply to
1D10T

I might take my propane tanks to the local fill place, where they provide an honest fill.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

ROTFLMAO!!

Lou

Reply to
LouB

... and adds one great big PITA. As y'all may have noticed, I am really pissed off about this kind of deceit, as well as other labeling bullshit. An example: Ask Breyer's (Unilever) about this issue and also why how they get away with calling tara gum, locust bean gum, guar gum, vegetable mono-and-diglycerides, and other additives "Natural" ingredients. What the HELL is natural about this shit in ice cream?

Reply to
1D10T

Breyers vanilla used to be: milk, cream, sugar, vanilla. No need to add all that other crap after many years of real purity.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Add to this: Ice-structuring proteins, corn-syrup, cellulose gum, carob gum, polysorbate

80, glucose, carrageenan and whey sourced from meat-based rennet. Also, tara gum is indigestible and ice cream containing it can melt and then be refrozen and us consumers will have little clue. Let a bowl of Breyer's "All Natural" melt and instead of a creamy puddle, it looks like wet styrofoam. It is made with a certain amount of ?overmix,? the percentage of entrained air to increase volume. Weigh a 'pint' of Breyer's and compare it to other brands. Look here:
1D10T

There is a big difference, the items in the grocery store must adjust the designated unit of measurement on the packaging, but the consumer is left to assume a 20lb. propane tank has the maximum amount of propane allowed put into the tank. It would be more acceptable if the gas provider put a disclaimer on the tank wrap. That way an savvy consumer can decide if they want to swap tanks or refill.

Reply to
Slightly Graying Wolf

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:gv92ko$2g1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

that's where I got my propane tank filled;Ace Hardware. You can watch the guy fill while it's on the scale.

And I get my own tank back,not somebody else's tank.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Heh. I still remember this commmercial from the '80s:

Still, I guess locust beans are natural, just like asbestos and radium.

At least the manufacturers' are giving us about 20% less in most packages now-"Now! With 20% LESS fat and calories!" Thought they were doing it do avoid the more-obvious method of jacking the price up. Oh, now they did that, also. Still, it's only because gas is $4.00 a gallon. Um, wait....

My last raise was fairly good, but I feel I've lost ground overall. Word is raises this year will be "minimal" due to the economic situation. *sigh*

I feel depressed now. I can't even cheer myself up with a bowl of Breyer's. Hey, I know! I'll check the balance in my retirement account!

Reply to
Plague Boy

For a person that yells capitalism at every turn. You sure want government protection. Make up yer cotton pickin mind. I'm tired of you yellow bellies crying the blues.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It was in today's paper. I did a tank exchange at HD a couple of weeks ago, "AmeriGas". Label clearly says, "net weight 15.0 lb". I did not notice this until the issue came up. Next time I'll be going to the guy that refills the tank on a scale and intend to pop off a complaint to the state ag. Only good thing about exchange was my tank looked like it was on its last legs.

Reply to
Frank