Propane-powered Mosquito Traps: What's the deal? Do they work?

Page 3 of 3

When the Mosquito magnet was first out and very popular, they had an interactive "video" on their web site. (in fact, they still do, as I just found when I looked) that shows pretty much what Rod is saying. http://support.mosquitomagnet.com/placement/start.html . The prevailing wind direction, and the placement of the unit is critical to the success of its operation. I tried mine everywhere I could think of, and it still only catches less than 20 mosquitoes each night. It definitely must not be placed where you hang out.
RP
I live in a situation that makes my house attract swarms of Asian Lady Beetles (different from the Japanese Beetles that plague gardeners, these are like regular ladybugs on steroids) every October as they look for a place to hang out during the winter. This year I'm thinking about buying an insecticide called "Buggslayer" that's supposed to be really effective on them. They make three varieties: one for Asian Lady Beetles/Box Elder Bugs; one for ants/spiders; and one for mosquitoes/flying insects. It's kind of pricey but I'm willing to pay to prevent those damn beetles from crawling into cracks in the siding, getting disoriented, and making their way into my house. Hope the Northern Tool store in an adjoining city has some of this stuff on hand.
http://www.buggslayer.com/insecticide.html
Yard Guy wrote

What I said in different words.

Wrong if thats upwind of where you are.

Wota stunningly rational line of argument you have there, child.

No I didnt.

I didnt say that either, particularly when its clam.

Neither.
Not when the trap is more attractive to mosquitoes than the humans are, because it puts out more CO2 than the humans do.

Wrong, as always.

Not with the counterflow traps that do get them quickly and you havent been stupid enough to put them where the humans are.

They obviously dont if they catch a hell of a lot of mosquitos every night.

Nope.
Doesnt say anything about when its calm, stupid.

Anyone with even half a clue realises that mosquotes just arent a problem when its quite windy.