Propane Line for on Demand Hot Water Heater

Hi,

I have a house in Guatemala, as such there is no such thing as buiding codes or a professional plumber etc, only people who think they know what they are doing and work for around 3 dollars a day so calling a pro is OUT.

I have a bosch Aquastar model 38B Propane on demand hot water heater, it is rated for 20kw.

The current install on the house i bought is the unit stuck on the side of an outside wall, with no flue, about 10" from a concrete shelf built over the unit, the propane supply is a 20lb tank connected with naglane hose in poor condition host clamped to the regulator on one end and copper tubing on the other.

Clearly this is not safe and the unit runs very rich possibly do to altitude, let alone poor gas supply and no venting to suck the gasses away from the unit.

I plan to chip a hole in the concrete above the unit install a 6' flue per the manual, build a wall of sorts around it to shelter it from the wind etc.

I am at 5000 ft, and am not sure if this unit has been preped for high altitude but will deal with that problem later, the issue I have now is setting up the propane lines.

The manual specs out a run of 10' for 3/8 and 60' for 1/2 copper tubing, however I have about 100ft from where my heater is located to where I want to place in propane bottles 2 x 100lb. Its not possible to set the bottles closer. Would it be ok to use 3/8 tubing and carry the propane at bottle pressure from the tanks to the house, mount the regulator at the house and then run a short run of 1/2 tubing from the regulator to the heater. I have also heard of problems with people with a tank setup such as mine and a large load like this heater having problems with freezing at the tank, would I be more or less prone to freezing if I have the regulator located far from the tanks allowing the entire length of line to be used as a heat sink.

Thanks!

Reply to
Thornton

Gas flow is a prime issue or heat potential will not be realised. For my Aquastar, I sized it right. A manometer is a gas flow measuring meter that should be used to insure proper supply and regulator setting, 50$ US apx. You are Lucky!! I have a brochure here . The toll free # is

800-642 -3199 fax 802-496-6924. They will correctly answer you. Tankless are great, to bad the US mindset is behind the times.

will help

Reply to
m Ransley

DO NOT just connect half inch tubing to the tank. Usually there are two regulators - the one at the tank will drop the pressure to about ten PSI and the one at the house will drop it to ten inches of water (whatever that is in PSI). That ten foot or sixty foot limit is what you can get away with after the second regulator.

Reply to
Ed Clarke

m,

Manometers measure pressure not flow.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

If the water is already hot, why worry about it?

Reply to
PhotoMan

That line is getting very stale around this newsgroup. How about we all swear off using it and save a little bandwidth?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia