Propane Leaks

Everytime I use a torch in cold weather, affter I take off the torch head the cylinder leaks from the place the head connects to. Why?
snipped-for-privacy@copps.com wrote:

Cheap seals on disposable cylinders. Why do you take off the torch head? Mine never comes off until the cylinder is empty.
Pete C. wrote:

Safety, the torch falls off the shelf or rolls around in the trunk of your car and the valve opens emptying the <explosive> contents into that area.
George wrote:

Bernz-O-Matic TS4000, little risk of that. Also it spends most of it's time on my kitchen counter since I crust creme brulees more often than soldering plumbing.

Yes, these are disposible cylinders.
I always take of the torch head when I finish using them. I have had them leak when shut off, which is not only dangerous, but wastes gas. Seems the older torches loose the ability to fully shut off. I finally replaced one that would always keep a very tiny flame on the tip of the torch when it was shut off tightly.
Someone asked how long they leak. I have had them sputter for several minutes after I remove the torch. This only seems to happen in cold weather, which makes me wonder if they develop some ice in the seals. Bringing them indoors seems to stop the leak (due to the heat), but I dont care to keep a leaker in the house, so I just let them sit outside on the lawn where they are not a danger. It seems they eventually stop sputtering, but I wonder how much gas is going to waste. There should be some caps made that could be screwed on to them to completely plug them. I dont mean those plastic covers that they are sold with, because those do not fully prevent leakage. I guess those things are only intended to protect the threads.

How long does it leak for? Do you just get a brief smell of propane, like a second or three, or does it continue?
snipped-for-privacy@copps.com wrote:

Hi, First are you switching to winter grade Propane?
Huh?

*spam*@showmepro.com says...

You don't put "winter air" in your car tires?
--
Keith

No, but there's a lot more hot air on the internet in winter <lol>