Propane generator for blackouts?

Page 3 of 5
Thanks for the field report. I would have continued on, thinking Y2K was a false scare. Except that some people like yourself corrected me.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Only the doomsayers predicting the fixes undertaken wouldn't be adequate raised fears...
As dgk says, there was a _LOT_ of effort invested for quite a long time preceding just the year or so ahead to avoid any major problems.
I'm in (or was at the time, anyway) power generation and other industrial controls -- many, many, controllers and other pieces of gear one outside of the area might not even think as having computers or time-bases in them were either upgraded, modified or replaced to ensure the grid stayed online.
Needless to say, despite all the testing there was some apprehension as the bewitching hour approached and a lot of folks were on standby for the just in case a component somewhere acted up and threatened to start any other potentially cascading event.
AFAIK within the electric utilities that were EPRI members there were only a handful of very minor incidents; none that had any bearing on actual operations.

On 10/5/2010 11:26 AM, dgk wrote:

I remember changing out the BIOS in a number of computers to make them compatible with the new date.
TDD
On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 12:41:02 -0500, The Daring Dufas

During the y2k rollover, I didn't have any ten year old computers. All of them handled the year 2000 with no problem.
Did you finally get rid of those 80286 and 80386 systems you were using while the rest of us were using Pentium Is, IIs and III's? Even 486 systems had no problem with y2k.
On 10/6/2010 1:03 PM, AZ Nomad wrote:

In the last few years I have actually had to service some systems still running DOS 6.22. It's a good thing I hang onto old computers so I have parts to fix the ancient machines. The new machines won't run DOS or the old peripherals, different interrupts and such. It's funny, the old IBM PC's were built like tanks. Yesterday I had to decommission an old IBM server at a department store that had a 1998 date code on the hard drive. The server even had a beige housing. 8-)
TDD

a 6.22 utility disk (on 3.5 floppy) to scrub used machines before I reload them. Never played with the multiple-core unobtainium processors- mebbe that is what you are talking about. Chained under my desk at work, I have a now-considered-old Dell c640 laptop (that has fallen off the inventory records somehow), that I use to program radios. The radio service software won't run under any flavor of windows. All the hard drive has on it is 6.22 and the Motorola software. They kept trying to dispose of it on me, and I kept explaining I needed it to keep THEIR old walkie-talkies running. Finally they stopped asking about it, and on the dump from the next wall-to-wall inventory, I noticed it wasn't there any more. I'm not gonna ask questions. They can figure it out after I retire.
And I've still got stacks of beige around here, including the machine I'm typing this on, a 2ghz p4 frankenstein made up out of dumpster parts and the cheapest tower case NewEgg had 5-6 years ago.
--
aem sends...

On 10/7/2010 5:29 PM, aemeijers wrote:

It's not that it won't boot, it the application software. The timing is all off without screwing with the clock speeds, etc. My service laptop is a Dell Latitude C600 because it has a real serial port for router and telephone systems programing. I was programing Motorola hand held radios back in the late 80's when I worked for a contractor at a missile range, it was a pain to get a copy of the software but I managed it. It's probably the same software you have because unlike consumer crap, those old Motorola walkie talkies are darn near indestructible which is why there are a lot of 30 year old radios hanging off belts of law enforcement and construction personnel. I tried looking up those old Motorola radios but I don't remember the model numbers. We used the mobiles in the trucks that needed the same software if I remember to program them. Too much to try to remember, it makes my head hurt. 8-)
TDD
On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 22:59:00 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:
[snip]

My newest PC (CPU is "AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 435" triple core) will boot and run DOS OK.
[snip]

--
79 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).
On 10/7/2010 8:51 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

My 3ghz dual core Intel will boot and run DOS also but it wont run some of the old applications like certain POS software and games. There are differences between the bus architecture and timing for the ISA/XT, ISA/AT, AGP, PCI, PCI-X, etc, etc. To repeat a cliche, I've been there done that. Many folks out there are running old DOS programs because the software just works and does what it's supposed to do. Heck, if I remember correctly, at one time most of the anytime teller machines were running OS2. I don't know about now because a while back I read about some other company taking over development of the software and renaming it.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

There's a lot to be said for "it just works." In fact, the vast majority of modems in use today operate at 2400 Baud (think ATMs).
On 10/8/2010 9:36 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Some years back, I installed a number of backup generators in homes and I obtained circuit boards for DSC alarm control panels which I mounted inside the transfer switches. The use of simple tried and true alarm communications protocols over a POTS line was a very reliable way to monitor the generators. Years later, they're still working and it's considered old technology.
TDD
On 10/8/2010 10:36 AM, HeyBub wrote:

screen images? (I know some ATMs have pictures now, but not in this part of the country yet. And those can be locally generated in the PC inside all modern ATMs anyway.)
--
aem sends...

Nice Christmas tree!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 08:59:14 -0400, George wrote:
[snip]

It was like that here during hurricane Ike. Power was off for 5 days. AT&T cell phones didn't work but Verizon (both cell and landline) did. Also, cable phone (Suddenlink) was off after 4 hours (backup battery lasted that long).
--
83 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).

That is without a doubt the largest load of bullshit I have ever heard of...
Problems with the delivery of electricity involve some kind of failure with overhead wires being pulled down by a broken tree limb or snapped pole... Or by overloading underground wiring or transformers during an overload condition... It is the vulnerability to damage wherever overhead power lines pass near trees and aging wooden poles with rot that make the electrical system easier to fail during weather events...
The natural gas delivery system is entirely underground, and utility company operations control centers are in hardened buildings which have standby power systems... Any equipment crucial to supplying the natural gas to customers is able to be fed from back up power systems...
Also I love how you seem to know for certain that there is no electric service available at a natural gas station since you have not dug up the ground under the access road to the gas substation... Just because you can't see something above ground within a half mile doesn't mean its not being fed by a protected underground line from somewhere else to increase its odds of remaining powered during an outage...
~~ Evan

Long-term outages rarely cover a wide-area, except in perhaps a CA earthquake. NG will likely be problematic then, too.

snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote the following:

hurricane. Hurricane Floyd back in 1999 took out a wide range of wired services besides electricity, and included telephone, cable, and internet. The outage lasted 72 hours for me. It took the help of a number of utility companies from other inland states to restore power .

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

One of the fun things up north along I-65 during hurricane season-- counting how many different utilities are represented in the South-bound convoys (grin)
and name it after the IRS.
Kurt Ullman wrote the following:

I saw the same along I-95 when returning home from Southern Delaware after a huge snow storm there some years back (1999?). The southbound lanes had a long convoy of utility trucks including some from my area.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY