Propane Gas Grill Usage ?

Hi,

Thinking of getting one of those Propane outdoor gas grills; probably one of the Weber models.

These are the ones with the propane tank kept right under the grill.

Have never had one before, so am a bit worried. Would be keeping it on an open wooden deck that comes off the kitchen.

How safe are these kind of things, particularly when using and keeping on a wooden deck ?

Do they ever "flare-up" ?

Any precautions to know about ?

What else should I be asking ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Thinking of getting one of those Propane outdoor gas grills; probably one of the Weber models.

These are the ones with the propane tank kept right under the grill. CY: That's the common design.

Have never had one before, so am a bit worried. CY: They are a concern, but overall quite safe.

Would be keeping it on an open wooden deck that comes off the kitchen. CY: Mine is on a wooden deck.

How safe are these kind of things, particularly when using and keeping on a wooden deck ? CY: I've had one for five years or so, and it's been great.

Do they ever "flare-up" ? CY: No.

Any precautions to know about ? CY: Keep the lid open when lighting. It's easy for propane to collect. The ones with the red push button ignite are a lot more convenient.

What else should I be asking ? CY: Good idea to have a spare propane bottle in case you run empty during a cookout. The propane bottles also will run an infared heater, for emergency heat if the power is out. Or a weed burner, or a few other appliances.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've had one of these Weber propane grills for years and used it on my wooden deck with no problems. You might want to park it on a mat just in case the drip tray leaks. The only flare up I ever got was when I lit the darned thing and mistakenly left the lid down. I suppose if you held the gas knob down too long and hit the starter you could probably earn an unwelcome haircut, but that's never happened to me....enjoy your BBQ....Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

About as safe as a gas range in the kitchen. Sure, anything can happen, but generally they are very safe. Read the instructions on lighting. I've had mine on a wood deck for 24 years now. They should not be near the wall of your house or under eaves. Use common sense and you will have many years of good grilling.

Buy a spare tank as they usually run out when every place is closed. Never use the tank swaps like Blue Rhino unless you want to pay higher prices than the normal fill up stations. At BJ's I got filled last week for $8.50. Local dealer is $12.

Weber is good. So are the Signature series of Vermont Castings, Broil Master, MHP, and other quality brands. Propane dealers ten to carry better models than the discount stores.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Good advice from Edwin on refilling the tank rather than a swap. The only time I ever swapped mine out was when it got tired and or rusty....I think the most I ever paid to refill was $11, but that was when I lived in California...everything was expensive!....Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

"Robert11" wrote

If you live in an apartment, better check b/4 you purchase one. I believe they are pretty much outlawed for use on any decks in apartments, everywhere. Disregard this if it's your own home.

Reply to
Getty

You should be fine, these are very commonly used on a wooden deck with no problems. The fire will stay inside where it belongs. You WILL drip grease though from the drip hole ( your supposed to hang a can there but even with the can some usually misses) so you might want to put something like a cheap outdoor matt under that area if a small grease stain would bother you. One thing to make sure is to ALWAYS have the lid open when you light it, otherwise it might build up gas inside and light with a BOOM..not a good thing. Once it's lit you can close the lid if that suits your cooking. When it's new this won't be a problem but occasionally you need to check that the air inlets ( usually right behind the knobs..where the air mixes with the gas) are clear, spiders like to nest there, and then it clogs and the flame gets yellow and dirty..it's easy enough to clean these tubes out, you just need to know where to look..read the manual, I'm sure it will mention this too.

Have fun!

Reply to
Mikey S.

clipped

Read the manual, check the safety stuff. Can't use within a certain distance from building, and not under overhang or roof. Our condo has patios with 2nd floor balcony above - we have a grill next to the patio at the correct distance.

I would not store a spare tank unless there is a separate building. A small fire in your garage could turn into a major disaster with a spare tank, but then I'm nervous about storing flammables. Used to have a friend who lit her charcoal grill with gasoline :o)

If you are in a deed-restricted community or condo, check their bylaws. Our board tried to ban gas grills, for no good reason - at the time, boat owners had cans of gasoline standing around all over the place. A gas grill is as safe as a gas stove, or as dangerous. Used properly, you should be fine.

Grills with glass windows don't do well if it starts to rain whilst you are cooking :o)

Reply to
Norminn

Try fatty meat, they will flare up!

To the OP, save your money and purchase a Holland or Pheonix gas grill. You will be a LOT happier with the results with one of these grills.

~kjpro~

Reply to
~KJPRO~

guys named bubba that never finished third grade have been using these things for years and rarely do they cause fires.

just be smarter than bubba and you will be fine.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

On 2/5/2005 2:58 PM US(ET), Robert11 took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Keep the grill away from vinyl siding. DON'T use the grill with a spare tank in the cabinet under the grill. I forgot one time, and after cooking for a while, the propane tank ran out and I went to find the spare and found that I had left it in the cabinet. When I took it out, I couldn't touch the top because it was so hot..

Reply to
willshak

You may still own one if you live in an apartment. You just can't use it within a certain distance of the structures on the complex in my area (TX) DFW area it used to be 10 feet. Nowadays I'm betting on a larger distance.

If you have a patio and can move the grill out from under any structure, it's a good idea anyway. Keeps a minimum of safety while using.

I use a wand type lighter to light my gas grill. Always with the lid closed. I know everyone tells you not to do it. I am telling all not to do it. Some of us know how to do "stupid thing" without being stupid. Others are not afraid to try anything. Still other wish to err on the side of safety. I am one of those people that know how to use common sense wher I am very familiar with things, and lend a good margin of safety also.

P.S. Don't ask how I light it while the lid's closed, it does not apply to all gas grills.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®