Propane fireplace pilot question

My propane fireplace has a battery operated wall unit that controls the pil ot. Right now (summer) the batteries are dead, and the pilot isn't lit. I was planning to clean the glass screen, and started to wonder if the propan e is off and if it's safe to open the unit. Can someone help? Thanks!
On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 15:04:21 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

.. might be prudent to seek such advice from your owners manual - - especially safety advice. ... that said .. You will smell it - propane is quite distinctive.

It should be off and safe, but to be sure, turn off the valve on the tank or the feed line to the fireplace.
On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 9:24:54 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

. I was planning to clean the glass screen, and started to wonder if the pr opane is off and if it's safe to open the unit. Can someone help? Thanks!

wow an actual home repair question!
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com presented the following explanation :

Careful when cleaning the glass screen. Consult the manual or a service technician to use the right cleaning solution. Some are coated with a material which is damaged if you use the wrong cleaning technique, and may cause it to crack when it next heats up.