propane cooker fuel connector confusion

Using (someone else's) turkey cooker: where the fuel hose connects to the cooker, it has a brass 'collar nut'. This has a tapered end, as if it's supposed to seat and seal. There is a smaller tube that passes through this nut, which also has a tapered end. There are no gaskets. The only thing I see that can be tightened is the collar nut. However, when this is tightened, the tube can still freely move in and out.
Mechanically, that makes sense to me - the collar is tightening against its seat, rather than pressing the tube into any sort of seal. But, I don't see how this arrangement seals anything: gas could easily leak around the tip of the tubing, and then escape where the tubing passes through the collar.
I checked the connection for leaks, and it seemed OK. So, we went ahead and used it. But, I'm puzzled as to whether this is how it's supposed to work. I think I'm just missing something?
Thanks, George

It looked the same as that picture, even the color. But, where the nut in the pic is snug against the back of the nozzle, on this one, there was ~1/4" of nozzle shaft visible. The nut could slide freely over this range. This was still the case when the nut was tightened.
But, if the nozzle needs to be free to rotate, maybe everything was OK. As noted, it didn't seem to be leaking.
George

Serious question:
Does it have to be Windex? Is there an ingredient in Windex that's not in generic window cleaners or 409 or other spray cleaners?
I usually mix up a small amount of dishwashing soap and water and paint the connections, but if I can simply spray something on that would ceratinly be easier.
So, seriously, do I need something specific to make it bubble or will just about any cleaner work? Obviously I don't want to use something that doesn't bubble and think that I don't have a leak when I really do.
On Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:19:19 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

"Windex" is common vernacular in many areas for any brand of blue ammonia-based window cleaner.

"O" ringed seal, likely.

No. As noted, though, the hose matched the picture.
Does anyone know what is the purpose of the 2nd nut, the one up against the crimp fitting? I didn't do anything with it.
George