Propane Cook Stove - Soot on Pots & Pans

I have a propane cook stove, for some reason there is always soot on the bottom of the pots and pans. The flame appears to be normal looking (blue with yellow tips). Is this just something that happens with propane or is there another problem?

By the way, we just managed to burn spaghetti to the bottom of a stainless steel pan. The spaghetti was UNDER WATER. I know this should be posted to some cooking group, but I find this puzzling. How the heck can it burn underwater? Yeah, no one really seems to be able to cook in this house, but we manage the best we can and there's always fast food nearby in case of emergency, or we want something with taste and no burnt or raw particles....

Reply to
souperman

A yellow flame tip means the mix is to rich, not enough air is mixed in, so you carbon up pots and your air. Maybe it is jetted to large, maybe pressure is to high.

Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

You're right, yellow tips is not normal, its too little air, tips should be blue- blue/white.

Why worry about jets and pressure? Just need to adjust the air hole.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

This stove was set up for Natural Gas originally, but it has adjustable tips on the gas nozzles (or whatever they are called), that shoot the gas into the burner. I adjusted them, but did not touch the air holes. Do I need to adjust them too?

I know when I got the stove and connected it, it had a flame that was probably 10 inches high until I adjusted those things.

Thanks

Reply to
souperman

Let in as much air as you can, if that wont help cut the gas down, you never want yellow in the flame you want blue-white tips.

Reply to
m Ransley

This must be why my mother told to stir the food. I thought it was some silly depression-era superstition.

Reply to
mm