Propane barbecue conversion to natural gas.

I'm tired of the cost of propane, and charcoal is even worse. I have a gas outlet in the back yard I could tap into, but I know the regulator and burrner jets would have to be modified for it to work. Has anyone done this, and could they point me in the way of conversion kits. Thanks in advance.-Jitney
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 27, 4:16 am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

or, it may just be easier to keep on grillin' with present hardware. here's some varieties of barbecue to inspire your appetite, while you avoid learning how hard it may be to retrofit grill with rusted fittings and the wrong regulators, etc. maybe check craigslist for local possibilities of an inexpensive choice. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbecue more fun at: http://www.wikihow.com/Cook-Food-on-Your-Car 's-Engine
Add pictures here
✖
NG is delivered at lower pressure than propane regulators provide. You should be able to pipe it into the burner bar (remove the regulator that is provided for the LP tank). Won't burn quite as hot, but it should work. You may need to use a small drill to enlarge the orifice for the gas to go through.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

There are conversion kits for about $50 for some grills that are made to be convertible, but not most. Check on the manufacturer's website. Essentially the kit is a hose with quick disconnect NG fitting on one end and a new set of orifices. NG is under lower pressure and needs larger orifices to achieve the same BTUs. The kits also seem to have some do-dads that go under the existing knobs. They look like they could be some kind of stop, to change the max turn-on distance? I've heard that instead of changing the orifices, you could just drill out the existing ones to the new larger size.
Add pictures here
✖
a good friend who works at sears and handles all their return merchandise states natural gas grills are often returned because users report they dont get as hot as propane. propane definetely has more BTUs than natural gas.
you might be disappointed in the conversion. I didnt convert mine for this reason.....
i solved the empty tank issue by watching for people getting rid of grill tanks. a few bucks here and there.
i quit finally after getting too many tanks for free / near free. have 6 or 8.
I take them in once a year and get all filled.never run out. they also run a propane bullet heater, i use once in a great while, also good for emergencies...
exchanging costs more than filling at a station with a propane fill tank, convenience store exchange twiice fill cost.
i do exchange once old tanks with obsolete valves. the exchange places install new valves to send the tank out, and i benefit.
if a tank starts to rust or look shabby i exchange it, not worth the effort painting. let them do it,
well thats my solution to running out of propane, i store extra tanks in my shed far away from house, and its always well ventilated, just n case of a leak.
Add pictures here
✖
If your grill is mounted on a portable cart, rather than a post, you will have to attach a flexible gas rated hose. That will probably cost more than either the new regulator or the new orifices.
To get the right orifice and regulator, contact the grill manufacturer.
I've done it and had very good results. It's true the grill doesn't burn as hot as with propane, but that's a WELCOME advantage. I have less chared food now.
Add pictures here
✖

um, you know you could have turned it down..
Mark
Add pictures here
✖
Rick-Meister wrote:

I been there in the past and well say the hoses are cheap.

That is the big problem. I found that the manufactures do not want to sell the parts because of safety reasons.
--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info

And lots of times the orifices, hoses and such are corroded or crudded up so bad they can't be disassembled.
Was at HD the other day, and a flex gas hose was $14 for a 4 footer. More for a 12'. But yes, you can do it. Buy a new larger fire extinguisher, too. If you do everything right, it will work and MAY work for a long time.
And then Murphy's Law kicks in.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖

Code is that the grill must be fastened down, no wheels.
Add pictures here
✖

Thanks, all. I'll probably try the conversion myself, since part of the point is to save money. The lower temp of NG is not a problem since the burgers drip so much flammable grease that the burning grease takes over at some point. Part of the plan is to fasten it down, I'm making this a permanent fixture.-Jitney
Add pictures here
✖
Try asking in this website forum all about grills and grilling, I found out some good info on some mods for my grill there. http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/index.php
(non disclaimer..I have nothing to do with that forum other than as an occasional user)
--
Mikey S.
< snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
✖