Propane

Page 1 of 2
Does propane need an oxidant introduced with it to burn? I.e., will it support combustion on its own?
Reason I ask is I was reading "Under the Dome" and near the end they have everyone dying from lack of oxygen in the air but are having no problem keeping generators running on propane.
Harry K
On Monday, December 8, 2014 9:33:15 AM UTC-6, Harry K wrote:

No it will not...wouldn't they be dying from CO?
On Monday, December 8, 2014 10:48:37 AM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:

It's like any other fossil fuel. It needs oxygen to burn.
On 12/8/2014 10:54 AM, trader_4 wrote:

to burn? I.e., will it support combustion on its own?

near the end they have everyone dying from lack of oxygen in the air but are having no problem keeping generators running on propane.

Which came first? The people passing out, or the generators quitting? Egging you on, you're not chicken?
If ice storms and people turning cherry red in the house is any indication.....
On Monday, December 8, 2014 7:48:37 AM UTC-8, bob_villa wrote:

They are dying mostly from lack of oxygen but there is a lot of pollutants including soot/ash from a big fire. In addition to the generators, they also are having no problem driving cars/vans around.
Harry K
On 12/8/2014 10:33 AM, Harry K wrote:

to burn? I.e., will it support combustion on its own?

and near the end they have everyone dying from lack of oxygen in the air but are having no problem keeping generators running on propane.

Propane needs to be mixed with air (that data is out there some where on the web). It is possible that propane generators can run on lower air / oxygen than people.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/8/2014 10:33 AM, Harry K wrote:

Artistic license or call it what you want. Is that stupid show still on, way past its original expiration date.
On Monday, December 8, 2014 8:43:22 AM UTC-8, Frank wrote:

I didn't watch the show. I find watching a show after reading the book one comes to the conclusion that the only thing they have in common is the title :)
Harry K
Harry K

Propane needs oxygen - but generators will still run (kinda) after you have become hypoxic - and the less O2 they have to run, the more CO and the less CO2 they produce - - -
Does propane need an oxidant introduced with it to burn? I.e., will it support combustion on its own?
Reason I ask is I was reading "Under the Dome" and near the end they have everyone dying from lack of oxygen in the air but are having no problem keeping generators running on propane.
Harry K
--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet <> Fidonet Gateway
To: Harry K On 12/8/2014 10:33 AM, Harry K wrote:

to burn? I.e., will it support combustion on its own?

and near the end they have everyone dying from lack of oxygen in the air but are having no problem keeping generators running on propane.

Propane needs to be mixed with air (that data is out there some where on the web). It is possible that propane generators can run on lower air / oxygen than people.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
Real men can live without oxygen. We did it in Nam.
--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet <> Fidonet Gateway
To: Col. Edmund Burke On 12/8/2014 10:09 AM, Col. Edmund Burke wrote:

What is Nam?
--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet <> Fidonet Gateway
On 12/8/2014 2:40 PM, IGot2P wrote:

Where you meet gooks.
--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet <> Fidonet Gateway

What's a gooks?

To: Harry K On 12/8/2014 10:33 AM, Harry K wrote:

support combustion on its own?

everyone dying from lack of oxygen in the air but are having no problem keeping generators running on propane.

Artistic license or call it what you want. Is that stupid show still on, way past its original expiration date.
--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet <> Fidonet Gateway

It's Stephen King not thinking too deeply when he wrote that book.
"Under the Dome" is Stephen King's worst book. Ever. By a country mile.
The entire premise is stupid, up to and including the reason why the "Dome" is shaped the way it is.
He has folks acting in ways that they do NOT act in real life, which violates one of the the very first rules of fiction-writing.
--
Tegger