Projection TV Repair Question

We have a Mitsubishi VS-5043 that has just started exhibiting an annoying tic. After the TV has been on for a few minutes, the screen appears to snap down at both edges for a second and then returns to normal.
When it does this, for a flash, you can see the individual projection colors when the screen is distorted.
Anyone have an idea of what might cause this? Second question - are there still TV repair guys that make house calls? This sucker's too big to through in the trunk and take to the shop.
TIA, Douglas
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Douglas Fifield wrote:

Yea, you are getting a HV spark. You don't want that to continue or it will be costly. You may be able to use some compressed air to blow out the accumulated dust out of the unit. If you can see or determine by ear exactly where it is coming from that would help. Often it is the accumulated dust causing the problem.
NOTICE, there is some mighty high voltage in there, it may well be there when the set is turned or or even unplugged. It can remain lethal for days when unplugged. Unless you know what you are doing, it is not a good idea to mess in the guts of one of those.
It is also possible for you to damage some sensitive parts with compressed air.
Good Luck
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
If it is plugged into a surge protector try removing the surge protector or replacing it. I had a similar problem and it was resolved by replacing the surger protector which apparently had gone nuts.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 21:28:35 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

That was my reaction too.

Coincidentally just Friday I got a 20 inch tv that had been thrown away, and after it dried out, I plugged it and heard a big spark. Not only that, the light shining through the slots in the top of hte tv illuminated the wall behind it with a blue-white light. I wanted to unplug it but I took the extra second to get to my knees and look inside the slots to note the location.

ABsolutely. Unplugged and for days.

Absolutely.
But I did see the location and remember it fairly well. The spark was almost an inch long, and thick (way thicker than the spark of touching a doorknob), and it too was blue-white. When I took the back off, the high voltage transformer was right there, and some wires were lying on top of part of it. I lifted them off with a chopstick -- there was a little soot, or at least black parts, on the bottom side of them. There was NO sign on the transformer or wire that there had been arcing -- and used the plastic circular tie that was already there, undid it and redid it around adjacent wires. Then I thought maybe the HV wire was too close to something so I used a tool to bend it a bit and got it another half inch away.
When I turned it on again, spark gone.
Other times I've used GE silicone cement, which I believe has a high dielectric coeffficient (or whatever the term is) to add more insulation to a weak location, maybe where the wire goes into the HV transformer, and in one case when insulation was cracking on a microwave oven, near the diodes.
But of course the more you run it with it sparking, the more chance of ruining the HV, aiui.
I don't know how the projection tv's are set up and how much chance you have of finding the spark easily.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let me know if you have posted also.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.