Project of the day- Screen door

Well, now that it's warming up we are getting back to fixing a little something damaged by the renters, each day.
Today, we hung the screen porch door up. It's not much, just a cheap wooden one (we will paint it later with the rest of the porch). I frgot to get a sort of doorknob so will need to get some simple knobs like you'd use in the kitchen and put one on each side.

I assume there's a question in there somehwere...
Consider sealing the door on all six sides ASAP. If you don't, you run the risk of it absorbing moisture and warping so that it never closes right. I made that mistake many years ago when I rushed through a bathroom remodel and had to get a door on it before Mom came for a visit. The door warped and I had to wait until it dried out, and straightend out, before I could seal it. I got lucky...hit a spell of very dry weather and the door returned to it's normal shape. I really thought I had trashed a relatively expensive 6-panel pine door.
As far as a closure system, consider these 2 items...very traditional, old fashioned, perfect-for-a-wooden-screen-door-on-a-porch kind of system.
http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/73-450-screen-door-strikes-and-catches/cadmium-screen-storm-door-catch-611940.aspx http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/73-450-screen-door-springs/screen-door-gate-spring-13-32-diameter-656750.aspx
Slightly OT...My use of wooden screen door:
When the cats were young and the kids were younger, we worried about the cats getting into the nursery and doing cats things to the baby and baby items. I bought a wooden screen door at a home center and mounted it to the door jamb. I cut a section out of the top screen (and reframed it, of course) for better ventilation. (This was before central air) It was mounted in such a way that the wooden door was still usable. It lasted through 4 kids and a few cats before everyone was old enough that it was no longer needed.
"DerbyDad03" wrote
>> Today, we hung the screen porch door up. It's not much, just a cheap wooden

Nope, the the rare informational post.

Sorry, should have mentioned we did that already. We just havent painted over the sealant yet.

http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/73-450-screen-door-strikes-and-catches/cadmium-screen-storm-door-catch-611940.aspx http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/73-450-screen-door-springs/screen-door-gate-spring-13-32-diameter-656750.aspx
Thanks! We wont be putting a catch of that type on it though nor probably a spring. You'd have to see the setting for that to make sense but not needed.

re: You'd have to see the setting for that to make sense but not needed.
I'll bet the house slants backwards enough that the door closes by itself, right? <g>
"DerbyDad03" wrote

Naw, ;-) Just not the right framing to make a neat job of it, and no need really.