Project idea: cieling shelf for model train

I just created a new website dedicated to building a display case for a running model train. The design shows how to build a display case mounted only six inches below the cieling, that runs around the parimeter of the room. It works in almost any room, and it doesn't take up usable space. It is a clasier version than normal, with plexiglass, crown molding, and a hidden rope light for asthetics. Anyways, I thought I would share it with the world, and I figured this was a good place to start. Let me know what you think!
www.ulvr.com/john/train
John
On Sat 02 Feb 2008 08:58:51a, told us...

Very nice, John. It reminds me an installation in a very old hamburger restaurant in Rocky River, OH. They had a train running the perimeter of the room close to the ceiling for many decades. It was always charming.
--
Wayne Boatwright

snipped-for-privacy@ulvr.com wrote:

Very nice work. I like how you have concealed all of the infrastructure.
A couple suggestions: one, cove the corners of the walls and two, post to rec.models.railroad
Thanks for sharing.

I believe there was (~ 8 1/2 yr ago) a restaurant near the Chicago train station where the EXCELLENT burgers etc were delivered by model train. I also believe it was urban renewed away, but I'm not sure of that.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

real character are replaced with big box industrial places with lame industrial food and cookie cutter fake antiques that need to spend a fortune on marketing telling us how good they are.

On Sun 03 Feb 2008 09:55:36a, Old_Boat told us...

Yes, it was Bearden's, which used to be a local chain of a very few locations. The one in Rocky River was the last, and was still there as late as 2000 when we moved to AZ. They did, however, "modernize" and renovate the place, and it lost all its charm, IMHO.
--
Wayne Boatwright

Your "model" train diagram shows three rails (one in the middle) and 1 1/4" spacing between the outside rails, most dedicated modellers would classify this train as a toy train as it does not approach scale modeling in any aspect.

EXT wrote:

Standard 0 gage track, runs on AC. One sometimes has to make sacrifices of precision in favor of pragmatism.
Besides, many real trains _do_ have three rails, although not in that precise layout.

--John