Project idea

Next query for you guys who build decks?

I now have a sliding glass patio door to the outside. It's just mud right now outside there and not much of a difference in level (3 inches maybe?). Looking for something easy we can do ourselves. Is it possible to make a low to the ground 'wood deck'? The ground has been completely termite treated for sub-terranian termites but that would be a concern in our area still.

What I do not want to do: pour a slab extension.

We've also considered just using paving stones (even the ground out first of course) but a deck low to the ground would look nicer in this setting. About 2ft out and L shaped with one leg 13ft and the other 11ft.

Reply to
cshenk

You'll have to excavate a lot of dirt to build a deck. Remember, you can't lay the boards on the ground.

I recommend a paver patio. There are lots of variations in pavers, and lots of web sites to show you how to do it.

Reply to
SteveB

You might look at some of the synthetic wood material like Trex and the like. Try to adjust your deck plan to use standard lumber sizes where possible. 8,10,12,16,20' etc. You may need to special order sizes over

12 or 16'. You want your deck to be lower than the level of the house floor, a comfortable step down, so that you don't have leaves and such blowing in and/or snow drift build up if you are in a colder climate. Google deck plans, ground level deck etc. Kevin
Reply to
Kevin Ricks

Kevin, thank you! Major hit there. I just found 2 contractors in my area and have made initial queries. There are quite a few of them here. I adjust easy as it can always be a bit longer (lots of room on each side).

Specs due in for a 2 ft wide 12 or 16 ft long run along the window portion, and a 16 or 32 foot run (16 to be 4-6ft deep, rest 2ft deep). Might ask them to make my container garden with that long stretch. Lets see how the pricing goes.

Humm, 100$ worth of paving stones, or a true nice flush deck that wont have termite potential and match what I really want ;-)

Reply to
cshenk

The trex stuff looks like a winner here.

Yup! If it's too much to pay for the Trex decking, we may go that route.

Reply to
cshenk

A wood deck that low will be trouble in the long run. Not only termites, but a nice place for rodents to make a home.

If you don't like concrete, check out stamped concrete and that may change your mind. If not, go with pavers.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Good suggestion from Steve. This may be your best alternative given the small clearance you're working with.

You also could do what we did, build a traditional deck on Dek Blocks, which you can buy from the big box stores. These are precast concrete pier blocks that you place where you need support and lay your 2x6 or whatever lumber you choose to use as joists into. Don't attach the deck to the house. Our deck held up a hot tub for 5 years (we just sold it to raise $$ for the driveway repaving project) and still looks great (size 22ft by 26ft, appx.). A lot easier than digging the post holes in the yard (ours is/was very very very rocky).

Reply to
KLS

This reminds me of some stained concrete that I've seen in high-end houses. They use a concrete saw to cut patterns, then spray on stain, then cover it all with a sealer. The one I remember best was in a multi-million dollar house, and it wound up looking like leather. Way cool.

Reply to
SteveB