programming a remote, not the garage door opener

What really happens when programming a garage door opener? Is the remote that gets programmed or the garage door opener? I would like to program a remote so it can open the garage door. Becaue I live in a condo, I do not want to program the garage door opener in fear that if the door opener is programmer, other people may not be able to operate the door.
I'm talking about the new style of opener which automatically changes the code each time it opens the door, not the old kind which has a fixed code.

I hope you have the instructions, because different brands program differently. In all (that I know of) you program the opener to the remote. Two steps:
1) Do the button sequence that clears everything. This will get rid of any coding that the former owner may have set, then mislaid the remote.
2) Program the remote(s) you will use.
The instructions at http://www.garagedoorsupply.com/radio/114A1763.pdf should be able to help.

i have one of these openers that change code and every sunday(sunday only) i have to turn the power off to it all day. the reason is that it keeps opening and closing on its own!
blurted forth:
"What really happens when programming a garage door opener? Is the "remote that gets programmed or the garage door opener? I would "like to program a remote so it can open the garage door. Because I "live in a condo, I do not want to program the garage door opener "in fear that if the door opener is programmer, other people may "not be able to operate the door. " "I'm talking about the new style of opener which automatically "changes the code each time it opens the door, not the old kind "which has a fixed code.
It's the opener that gets programmed & the receiver will only hold so many codes (depends on which one you have). So if the opener is already programmed to it's maximum amount, programming another remote will automatically erase the remote that was progammed into the receiver first.
Also if you hold the learn button too long while programming the new one you will erase all of the remotes that are currently programmed into it.
Doordoc www.DoorsAndOpeners.com