Programmable Thermostat Set Points

Page 1 of 2
I don't understand the set-points on my programmable thermostat
My thermostat has "Heat" and "Cool" settings.
If I want the temperature in my house to be no warmer than 80°, should I set the "COOL" set-point at 80°? What should the "HEAT" set-point be?
On 9/25/2016 2:02 PM, GARYWC wrote:

You have set points for heat, set points for cool. Most people have day and night settings, maybe weekend settings.
Typical heat is about 68 to 70 when occupied, 62 to 65 at night or when not home. I have the heat come back up in the morning about 15 minutes before I get up.
Set the cool for 80 or whatever you choose for comfort.
Different brands have different procedures so check the manual for yours.
Hi Ed,
I deleted this post and posted a new (clearer) one

You did not delete this post... it is here forever.
alt.home.repair, wrote:

Uhh, no, you didn't. You don't 'delete' usenet posts. You can issue a cancel command, but, it's been abused so much, most (nearly all) usenet servers no longer honour it.
I don't understand the set-points on my programmable thermostat
My thermostat has "Heat" and "Cool" settings.
I want the thermostat to COOL the house when the temperature is above 80? ?.
I want the thermostat to HEAT the house when the temperature is below 70? ?.
What should the "COOL" and the "HEAT" set-points be?
GARYWC wrote :

80 for cool and 70 for heat. You might want a two degree plus or minus if it has that option so that the furnace or AC doesn't cycle on and off too often.
Thanks. I had them backwards; I had "COOL" set at 80 and "HEAT" set at 90.
GARYWC brought next idea :

Well, the furnace wants to heat if you're below a certain temperature and the AC wants to cool if you're above a certain temperature. In between those two extremes you don't want them fighting each other.
Why would you want either of them set to 90? :)
On 09/25/2016 01:39 PM, GARYWC wrote:

My thermostat won't allow the COOL setpoint to be lower than about 4 degrees above the HEAT setpoint.
--
91 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Keep it frosty...
--
Tekkie

From therafters:
Instead of "Why would you want either of them set to 90?", do you mean to say "Why don't you set them both of them to 90?"
GARYWC explained on 9/25/2016 :

No. My themostat has a switch for either heat, off, or cool and cannot be set for both heat and cool at the same time. If your system *can* do that, having them set close enough to overlap could cause them to fight each other so having them both set to 90 (always overlap) would not be a good idea either.
There is usually some small range (+ or - 2) where, for instance, it will heat until it gets to 72 degrees and shut off - then when it gets to 68 degrees turn on again. If the AC does the same thing on the cooling side you could waste a lot of power and get no benefit if they're both set to the same temperature.
My comment was because you first stated 70 minimum and 80 maximum which seems a good comfort zone to me. 90, not so much.
Heat 68F, AC 78F
On 09/25/2016 03:49 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Which is about what I have during the day. I like the heat lower and the AC higher at night.
--
91 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
On Sunday, September 25, 2016 at 4:45:19 PM UTC-4, FromTheRafters wrote:

What a loon. Forget about comfort, there was only 70 and 80 mentioned in the original post. So, where did 90 suddenly come from? And who typically has 90 as a set point? I smell a troll.
trader_4 pretended :

I think he mistyped 70 as 90 when he wrote about having them set backwards.
"Thanks. I had them backwards; I had "COOL" set at 80 and "HEAT" set at 90."
No need to call anyone names, but thanks for not using 'village idiot' again - variety is the spice of life.
On Monday, September 26, 2016 at 4:06:42 PM UTC-4, FromTheRafters wrote:

I never call anyone names unless they've more than earned it. Only a few here have.
My TOTALINE 5 + 2 Day Programmable Thermostat Model #P474-1035 has two switches:
The MODE switch has three positions: HEAT, OFF, COOL The FAN switch has two positions: FAN ON, FAN OFF
These seem to be for manual operation.
If I want the thermostat to run automatically, which positions do I select?
On 09/26/2016 11:57 AM, GARYWC wrote:

No AUTO position for the MODE switch?
I found that mine (Honeywell touch screen, I don't know the model number now) had one, but it was hidden behind a setting you had to read the manual to find. AUTO selects either heat or cool as needed (separate setpoints). That's often appropriate here in late fall or early spring.
--
90 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).