Programmable Thermostat

On my Totaline Programmable 5-2 Day Digital Thermostat, the "Mode Switch" is set to "Heat" and the "Fan Switch" is set to "Auto". Now, how do set the temperature so the heater:
heats to 80 degrees at 5 AM drops to 74 degrees at 8 AM heats to 78 at 5 PM heats to 80 degrees until 10 PM drops to 72 degrees at 11 PM
gcotterl wrote:

Hi, Read the manual!!!
On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 20:08:13 -0800 (PST), gcotterl

Did it come with a manual? If not, just push the buttons until you find the programming ones. Usually start with "set"
I'm glad I don't live with you. I could not stand that kind of heat. We never go above 70, most of the time it is 68, bedrooms at night are 63.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Hi, If manual is not on hand, down load from their web site. Wonder if that model 'stat can handle 5 settings per day. Most has 4 settings ie. wake, leave, return, sleep.
G,
The manuals may be found here. http://www.totaline.com/consumer/products.cfm Like the others I'm not sure that you can change temp more than 4 times in a day, unless you have the remote control type. But, you leave an hour gap where you heat until 10:00 pm. Not clear what happens between 10:00 pm and 11:00 pm. You then want the furnace to drop to 72 at 11:00. If your house has adequate insulation and the climate isn't too cold then you can set the thermostat to 72 at 10:00 pm and the house will not be down to 72deg. by 11:00
Dave M.

My Totaline thermostat manual is at:
http://www.totaline.com/dl/P474-1035Residential,Programmable5-2DayDigitalBatteryThermostat.pdf&usg=AFQjCNF-9enb8QzL3QiJs9iESOI-mWldQQ
I have the Mode Switch in the HEAT position, the FAN SWITCH in the AUTO and the Program Switch in the SET position.
If the thermostat can't switch between heating and cooling, why does "Cool" and "Heat" appear in the "Display" window for each time period? (The manual says that "In normal operation, 'Heat' or 'Cool' appears reflecting the mode switch position").
Page 10 of the manual says to Use these buttons to adjust the COOL setpoint for the morning time period and Use these buttons to adjust the HEAT setpoint for the morning time period.
I guess I dont know what setpoint means.is.
On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 18:39:12 -0800 (PST), gcotterl

Setpoint is the temperature you want to set it at. Such as, 70 degrees.
The Mode Switch is in the HEAT position and the FAN SWITCH is in the AUTO position.
When the Program Switch is in the SET position, do I need to set the COOL setpoint?
G,
Your thermostat has both heating and cooling capabilities. You select which one you desire by setting a switch to heat or cool. The choice of heating or cooling must be manually set. Let's be clear, if you are heating the house to 78deg and you have the thermostat programmed to drop to 70deg at 10:30. At 10:30 your furnace will stop running and won't start until the house cools off below 70 deg. This cooling will not be caused by running the AC until the house is cool (the thermostat is set to Heat). The cooling will occur because it is cold outside. When you are programming your thermostat it allows you to program both the heating and the cooling. Obviously, if you're using the heat now you don't need to program the cooling yet. Since you have the manual in front of you now it might be a good time to program the cooling, though.
Dave M.
gcotterl wrote the following:

Geez, my programmable thermostat is set at least 10 degrees less than each of your settings.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I would still think it will only heat or cool depending on where you set the switch, but not both in the automatic mode. While it will not switch to the cool mode, you can set the temperature to the lower point and if the house cools down lower than that, it will start heating. If there is not much heat loss in the house, it will not reach the lower point. Depending on the unit, it may not even be able to cool from 80 to 72 deg in one hour. Your last two setpoints. Will it take 5 setpoints ? Also do you want it to start heating at the stated times, or reach the temperature at that time ? It take a while to change the actual room temperature. If you want to reach those temperatures at the given time, you will have to program it maybe 1/2 to 1 hour ahead of time.