Programmable thermostat?

I want to have my circulator come on for 3 minutes and off for 15 minutes as long as the thermostat is calling for heat. Will a programmable thermostat do this?
--

LSMFT

I would say no. All the thermostat does is call for heat.
You could put a timer on the circulator-- but I doubt that is a good idea. Why do you want to do this?
I suspect the current setup allows for the most efficient use of power-- your proposition totally ignores how hot the water is. It seems to me that water temp is of utmost importance.
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

The problem is that when the fire goes down the circulator runs all the time unless I shut it off.
--
LSMFT

I'd be leaning towards a thermostat on the boiler that circulated whenever the water was above 'nn' degrees. With nn= As cool as it can get and still feel warm as it re-enters the boiler.
But then I've never played with a boiler- so I might be all wet.,g>
Jim

Sounds like you need an aquastat to control the circulator. It will shut off below a set water temperature.

************************************************************* How would air flow to the boiler control the circulator?
On 10/19/2010 10:22 AM, LSMFT wrote:

done because if the fire goes out the circulating water may save some piping.