Programmable thermostat?

I want to have my circulator come on for 3 minutes and off for 15 minutes as long as the thermostat is calling for heat. Will a programmable thermostat do this?

Reply to
LSMFT

I would say no. All the thermostat does is call for heat.

You could put a timer on the circulator-- but I doubt that is a good idea. Why do you want to do this?

I suspect the current setup allows for the most efficient use of power-- your proposition totally ignores how hot the water is. It seems to me that water temp is of utmost importance.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

It's a wood boiler and I do it that way manually now and it works great. The problem is that when the fire goes down the circulator runs all the time unless I shut it off.

Reply to
LSMFT

-snip-

I'd be leaning towards a thermostat on the boiler that circulated whenever the water was above 'nn' degrees. With nn= As cool as it can get and still feel warm as it re-enters the boiler.

But then I've never played with a boiler- so I might be all wet.,g>

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Sounds like you need an aquastat to control the circulator. It will shut off below a set water temperature.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

************************************************************* How would air flow to the boiler control the circulator?
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That could be easily solved by installing an aquastat but not commonly done because if the fire goes out the circulating water may save some piping.

Reply to
George