PROGRAMMABLE THERMOSTAT

Page 1 of 2

My house gets too hot at night Should I raise or lower the "HEAT" set-point?
gcotterl wrote:

You would lower it. Make the setpoint the temp you want it to be at night.
Using this example:
Setting Time Heat Cool Wake 6:00 a.m. 71 77 Day 8:00 a.m. Setback 8 Setup 7 Evening 6:00 p.m. 71 77 Sleep 10:00 p.m. Setback 8 Setup 4
Following the "Setup" and "Setback" numbers, would these "Set-points" be correct:
Setting Time Heat Cool Wake 6:00 a.m. 71 77 Day 8:00 a.m. 63 84 Evening 6:00 p.m. 71 77 Sleep 10:00 p.m. 63 71
Using this example:
Setting Time Heat Cool Wake 6:00 a.m. 71 77 Day 8:00 a.m. Setback 8 Setup 7 Evening 6:00 p.m. 71 77 Sleep 10:00 p.m. Setback 8 Setup 4
Following the "Setup" and "Setback" numbers, would these "Set-points" be correct:
Setting Time Heat Cool Wake 6:00 a.m. 71 77 Day 8:00 a.m. 63 84 Evening 6:00 p.m. 71 77 Sleep 10:00 p.m. 63 81
On a Totaline Programmable 5-2 Day Digital Thermostat (Model p474-1035), should the "Mode Switch" (on the front of the thermostat) be set to "Heat", "Cool" or "Off" to heat and cool at the set times? [The "Program Switch" (at the side of the thermostat) is on "Run"].
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 10:04:59 -0800 (PST), gcotterl

I think you should read and understand the owners manual. Obviously you haven't done that.
The manual says that "If the Program Switch is in the OFF position, the thermostat will not run the time period programming".
So it doesn't matter how the "Mode Switch" is set.
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 10:34:42 -0800 (PST), gcotterl

Let me be a little clearer. Do you understand the meaning of "OFF?" "OFF" means it ain't gonna work no matter what any other switch or setting is set to. Before you go back and read the book again you need to enroll in, and successfully complete, a remedial reading class. It's times like these that I bet you wished you paid more attention in school, huh?
The Mode Switch (on the front of the thermostat) has three positions: 'Heat', 'Cool' and 'Off'.
The Program Switch (on the right side of the thermostat) has three positions: 'Run', 'Off' and 'Set'.
If (according to your reply) the thermostat won't work in the 'Off' position, why are there TWO 'Off' positions? Wouldn't one be enough?
gcotterl wrote:

Hi, Tradeline is very confusing 'stat. You look at it as two part. One is system(cool, heat) one is programming (set, run) I have a Tradeline wireless 'stat as a backup for Honeywell one in use. Usually system switch should have cool, heat or auto.
gcotterl wrote:

Hi, Play with it, experiment with it. Is that so hard to figure out and prove what is what?
gcotterl wrote:

One switch (mode) controls the furnace itself, the other switch (program)controls weather the stat runs the program or acts like a regular, non-programmable stat: From the manual, page 9:
"If the program switch is in the OFF position, the thermostat will not run the time period program. In this case the thermostat will be a manual heat or cool only thermostat."
<http://www.totaline.com/dl/P474-1035Residential,Programmable5-2DayDigitalBatteryThermostat.pdf
It sounds like I should set the Mode switch to "Heat" and the Program switch to "Run".

I much prefer the thermostats with ON, OFF, and the temperature.
Steve
The manual says that "If the Program Switch is in the OFF position, the thermostat will not run the time-period programming" but the manual fails to say that it doesn't matter how the "Mode Switch" is set.
gcotterl wrote:

Well, No program, no workie. You mean heating = cooling = off ?
I have a Totaline thermostat; not a Tradeline.
gcotterl wrote:

If set to heat, the heater will run at the programmed settings if set to cool, the a/c will run at the programmed settings if off the heater will not run at all
BQ340 wrote:

Whoops!
If set to heat, the heater will run at the programmed settings if set to cool, the a/c will run at the programmed settings if off, neither the heater or a/c will run
BQ340 wrote:

Hi, No brainer for that. When stuff is made in China and Chinese written English manual is at best very frustrating and confusing.