programmable outlets

Where I used to work they had outlets and lights that could be "programmed" to operate with a similarly programmed switch. They way the switches and outlets where programmed was by two dials on each fixture, one dial had letters the other had numbers. You could set a switch to G-4 and then it would control all outlets and lights that where also set to G-4.

These did not work via RF instead the switches sent a signal through the AC wiring to all points in the building and would activate the correct fixtures. I called Lutron to see if they had something like that and they suggested I buy their new Radio RA. I'm not interested in spending $150 for each switch and $80 for each outlet for the Radio RA.

So does anybody know what company make the outlets that I first mentioned that could be programmed to work via specific switches?

Reply to
Limp Arbor

[...]

Sounds like X-10 to me, but I don't remember outlets, only plug in modules. I do remember they had switches that would replace regular toggle switches though.

Reply to
N8N

Yes, they're made by Leviton, and they were wise to steer you toward RF technology. They call their stuff "Decora Home Control". They used to call it "Decora Electronic Control". The technology is so cheesy, they had something like 40% defective units, I suppose they tried to refine it, then gave it a new name. The stuff works, sometimes, then for no apparent reason, it doesn't work. Electrical noise rakes havoc on it. If you want the same crappy technology, in a cheaper product, you can get X-10 stuff, which is also compatible with Levitons stuff.

Reply to
RBM

Go to Smarthome.com or Ebay and look for X10.

Reply to
trader4

found it

thanks.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

Do you think the Insteon is also the same type of unit?

Limp Arbor

I have had X10 modules from Radio Shack for nearly 20 years and they work fine. I did add the diodes across the two phases in my house wiring to cancel spurious signals many years ago, since something new in my neighborhood was randomly turning on one light. All of my exterior lights and detached garage lights are on X10 so I can quickly turn them all on, or just one as needed. In all that time I have had one mini controller fail, that's all.

Reply to
DT

Thats X-10, check out Smarthome.com they have them. But I'd go with their Insteon technology instead, it is way more reliable than the old X-10 stuff. I'm using Insteon all over the house, works great.

Reply to
RickH

When and where they work, they do so just fine... Then suddenly you get a new refrigerator, and they can no longer find the signal. Consider yourself fortunate

Reply to
RBM

Do you think the Insteon is also the same type of unit?

I don't know Insteon. In my opinion RF is the way to go, but it's pricey. If it's not anything critical you could try the cheap X10 stuff.Same line carrier technology as Leviton. Just be aware that even if it works initially, a new appliance, fluorescent fixture, and any number of other things can cause electrical noise that interfere with it's signal transmission.

Reply to
RBM

They need to go back to vacuum tube technology. In the 1940's there were juke boxes that sent signals through the AC power lines. They made a lot of "wireless" speakers that just had to be plugged into any 120 outlet in the building. Rebuilt with new caps and such, they work great even with the electrical noise of today. They also made record selectors that would take your coins and play the records you pick, just plugged into an AC outlet, and rebuilt, they also work great even in todays "noisy" electrical world.

This original wireless speaker will set you back a few thousand dollars.

They went all out just for a speaker didn't they?

Reply to
Tony

They were still RF, but over the line. X-10 is a common supplier. Radio shack used to have them under the "whole house" brand in Canada

- and RCA had them too. Among others. I've got X10, RCA GE and Whole House and they all work together. You set what is called a "house code" and a "circuit code".

Reply to
clare

And they will NOT swith cfl or flourescent lights - or equipment with solid state switching. Sometimes putting a small resistive load like a

7 watt incandescent bulb in the circuit will make them switch - othertimes the inductive component is too high.
Reply to
clare

The Insteon stuff uses both powerline and RF networks simultaneously, it really is a lot better than the old X-10 stuff, I'm well aware of those problems too. But the Insteon mesh network works great as long as you install at least 2 RF repeaters per 2000 square feet of house or so. Without the repeaters it is still way better than X-10 due to better noise rejection and higher signal level. With the repeaters its been very dependable.

Reply to
RickH

.

There are X10 modules that will work with any load. You just have to buy the right one.

Reply to
trader4
[snip]

I have used Insteon, or (more correctly) TRIED to use Insteon. these may have been the most aggravating electrical things I've ever had. They worked just enough to make you think they were OK, then another failure.

BTW, X10 works consistently on one side of my house, on the other side they're erratic. Insteon doesn't work decently ANYWHERE.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

A X10 appliance module is supposed to work with fluorescent. However, one of their "features" can get in the way. The "turn on with device switch" sends out a small current. That's supposed to allow the module to recognize when the device's switch is operated and turn the module on. This can misfire with some devices, like fluorescent lights. You turn it off, and a couple of seconds later it comes back on.

A X10 receptacle module eliminates this "feature", so it should work. However, for some unknown reason, the "off current" is STILL there. This can cause fluorescent lights to glow when they're supposed to be "off". This is even worse with electronic ballasts.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

[snip]

Specifically, 121KHz bursts at the zero crossings.

I always hear the last called "unit code".

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

How did you connect the diodes?