prog. therm. and heat pump questions

Rod the Rocket postulates

Actually with the heat strips in an auxilairy heat function, the heat strips are in series with the heat pump indoor air coil and the supply air temperature distributed through out the space is elevated above what the heat pump can put out. An electrical analogy would be two heat sources in series.

The ductless booster system will heat up a common area that would also be recieving heat from the central ducted system. Now you have two heat sources in parallel so it already is a smidge different than using the heat strips.

So to avoid the room getting overly hot the ductless system would shut off. You have warmed up the central area but all the other rooms are still not recovered. So you could keep the all the bedroom doors open to allow them to gain as much heat as they could from the booster heater in the living room, but you will not have anything close to uniform heat.

Like a superinsulated home with a central fireplace burning kangaroo chips.

Or if you could summarize just one of your supposed viable systems, maybe you have a big monster heat pump for recovery in the central area that runs balls open and then the ducted system functions as a recirculation system only. The common area would get hot possibly waste heat through the ceiling or any external walls/windows of the common area, its head pressure would elevate with the rising return air temperature in the central room, meaning electrical consumption would go up and COP would go down, but eventually you could have the place recovered on average without strip heaters but wasting energy none the less.

You grew this into including a swamp cooler so I already have given you the suggestion of utilizing its fan to help distribute the heat. Be a little static and some fan/motor heat there to help you out as well maybe a kW of sensible heat to help you out.

So if you have some guts rocket, just lay your cards on the table and explain a viable system for setting back a heat pump. Take your time, think it out, then type it up. If it is viable, and with your climatic frame of reference you have one of the best chances in the world at getting it right. Actually with your climate it may actually be doable. You could cookie cut the design and sell it to Bermuda, but I think it would be back to the drawing board for North America.

So far the ductless booster is a bad idea, you already gave up on trying to recover temperature when everyone gets up in the morning, and your frame of reference is a climate that is not much worse than sub-tropical.

So please have a go at it mate. I'll throw a couple shrimp on the barbie while I wait.

Reply to
Abby Normal

Rocket, I almost get the feeling that you are not having any fun with this role reversal of the troll getting trolled.

Reply to
Abby Normal

Abby Normal wrote

Couldnt bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

Obviously blotto, as always.

No surprise that the best its ever been able to manage is HVAC ape.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Abby Normal wrote

Irrelevant to it being a more expensive source of that heat.

Irrelevant to strips being a more expensive source of that heat.

ONLY when its got the common area back off setback.

Thats what you want it to do.

Wrong, the primary system will be circulating that warmed up air from the central area to the other areas.

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you have never ever had a f****ng clue about the basics.

AND when people have got up, it doesnt matter if the bedrooms arent YET back to the normal temp anyway. Either the bedroom occupant is still in the bed, and has been at the setback temp up till then, or they have got up and have moved to the central areas, stupid.

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you have never ever had a f****ng clue about the basics.

Reams of your pathetic attempts at a troll flushed where it belongs.

No wonder the best you have ever been able to manage is HVAC ape.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Well you said the ductless split is just like the strips except...........

So I merely pointed out the fundamental difference you were not aware of.

Just the fundamental difference. The heat strips get the job done but you have not really thought out this parallel heat scheme of yours in the central area. You get a little bit of the series action as you try to trickle heat into the rooms.

That is what I said. The booster is in the central area, it heats the central area in addition to the primary system. Therefore it and the primary system warms up the central area so the booster shuts off and the primary system shuts off or the central area is overheated. So you can think about your multiple thermostats and where exactly you are going to put the primary stat. Maybe even motorized dampers on the primary supply to the central area. So you shut off the supplies to the central area so not to overheat but you need to draw return from the central area to try and get this extra heat to the rooms. Hmm this depressurizes central area, causes infiltration, increases heat load.

Don't see you getting out of overheating the central area rocket. Give up now on the ductless booster its a dog.

A big problem is to get heat to the other areas, you will most likely find that you need to overheat the central area. Others have pointed out how this wastes energy. I pointed out how it also reduces the efficiency of the booster in addition to wasting heat.

Probably the primary system moves air based on the fact that perhaps it supplies air maybe 20 degrees F warmer than the room air, and this is to maintain temperature not recover the temperature. Maybe it gets up to a little higher differential in your easy climate and relatively warm winter ambient maybe you are getting 25 to 30 F degree rise. Okay lets call it a 25 degree rise.

See you are a little vague, and won't layout exactly what you are proposing, probably worried as it makes you feel vulnerable but here is a stab at a scenario.

If the primary system was in heat mode, and in your case the summers are so dry you never have to worry about dehumidification , then the primary system could be sized for the design heat load.

An elevated return temperature from the common area is not really going to do much here, maybe cause the air into the primary heat pump to be 2 degrees F or so warmer than straight return from all the set back rooms. A slight increase in return temperature will also lower the heat output of the primary heat pump and cause a slight drop in COP.

So if you neglect the drop in heat output/COP of the primary system here is some quick numbers for some easy math that also ignores thermal mass.

If the primary system was doing a 25 degree F rise, the central booster without overheating the central area gives a net heat increase to the supply air temp of the primary system of perhaps (2F) 8% as a best case.

So maybe the ambient is 45F, set point is 70F and the set back temp is

65F.

Design differential 70-45=35F, trying to recover 5/35x100=14% and recovery scheme increases heat output by 8%. Think you will be waiting for the sun to start shining or you are going to be really elevating the temperature of the central area to be able to recover.

So with a primary system sized for 100% of the design load and with a ductless central booster you have a slim chance of being able to recover and this is far from a viable scheme. So far most of the savings of this booster heat pump are eroding away.

Maybe overheat that central area and have a bunch of through the wall fans to draw heated central core air into the rooms then transfer back through door grilles, under cut doors. Just keeps getting more rediculous.

I'll tell you what rocket, you summarize a scheme that pays for itself in 20 years over heat strips and I will concede you can set back a heat pump in OZ. Good luck when the climate is so humid it needs DX cooling tho.

Or forget the setback, just keep the same low setpoint, and have a treat in the afternoon when the sun warms up the house to 70F. Without the strips you are going to be challenged to recover. You recover for comfort and if you are not going to be comfortable except for late afternoon why bother in the first place.

Hey maybe summarize it is 68F being set back to 66F, it will recover but the set back savings dry up.

I think your central booster scheme is a dog, but please feel free to work it all out and summarize it. Maybe you can finally give me that nose rubbing.

Well you gave up on the morning setback, so now just have the central area warm and all is well. How about some auxiliary radiant floor heat in the loo. Or is it truly a throne there in Oz, you all take a crap in the middle of your living room?

Actually that will be analogous to what it is like when you find out you have to heat the central area up to 80 degrees F to get your recovery scheme to work.

Hey I must be good at this troll stuff, I got you to actually say something beyond blotto and wet paper bags.

Reply to
Abby Normal

If you shut the booster off before the central area gets up to temp and rely on the primary system then bringing it up to temperature then, this central area catches up quick compared to the rest of the house. Not much heat from that booster trickling into the rooms in that time frame.

Maybe the central area gets back 4 out of 5 degrees in one half hour, and in another hour, the central area warms up the last degree. Primary system is off. No heat to the rooms. So you really need to think about your controls and where exactly to put that primary stat.

Rooms are no where close to warming up. Only way to warm up rooms is to over heat the central area. So nice orange, warm up the core and who cares about the rooms, but we need an apple.

Strips will warm the whole place up. The ductless booster can't without overheating the 'core'.

So maybe go back to the dual ducted systems with back draft dampers and the swamp cooler with it own ductwork and tell me it is viable. Or you could still explore the ductless spit in each room too. :)

Reply to
Abby Normal

Abby Normal wrote

Couldnt bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you have never ever had a f****ng clue about the basics.

Dont need any of that, just a stat for the ductless split system in the primary area, set a little below the normal temp required.

Pathetic, really.

Your problem.

No you dont. The primary system will equalise the temps fine.

Not a f****ng clue, as always.

It doesnt recover the temp, the ductless split system does that, stupid.

There wont be ANY rise when the stat for the ductless split system is set to a bit below the normal temp required and is JUST used to come back off setback instead of using the strips for that.

Lying, as always.

Reams of irrelevant crap flushed where it belongs.

I WASNT DISCUSSING MY PERSONAL SITUATION, APE.

Reams of a pathetic excuse for a troll flushed where it belongs.

Wrong again, just discussing how to do a system if you dont want a morning setback.

Reams of a pathetic excuse for a troll flushed where it belongs.

Reply to
Rod Speed

You were just making so much progress too.

Rooms will never recover then, think about it. That booster is not doing much more than recovering the core if you cut it off before the primary system. You need a booster in every room for this. Like adding a heat pump to a home that originally had electric baseboard heaters in each room.

Here is the Parable of the House with Electric baseboard heat that upgraded to a heat pump

Leave the baseboard heaters in place with their own line voltage stat set down just a little lower than what the PRIMARY sytem stat is set for. This is more of an auxiliary heat strategy when the heat pump cannot keep up to an extreme ambient. You have the heat pump trying to keep the space warm and if temperature drops, the electric baseboards kick on.

So you are going to use this scheme for recovery. Except it only gets close to recovering in one room. Hey I told you to put a ductless split in each room to have a snowball's hope in hell with your stupid idea.

Well the only way you are going to recover with your dog scheme is to overheat the core.

How? Little gremlins carry the btus by magic? You have no clue.

Well work it out, show how it does-- maybe summarize a viable scheme. Why didn't I think of asking you that before? I think your standard repettoire is your subconcious coming out, like a freudian slip, but the problem is you are only describing yourself. I plagerized that from some one in here, but it seems to be true.

It is circulating a mixture of air at various temperatures, the central area with the booster will be perhaps 4 or 5 degrees F warmer than the air in the rooms while the remainder of the house is trying to recover.

The primary system heats this air. As you will see, maybe introducing air at 25 degrees warmer than the room temperatures, maintains the room at that temperature, and by supplying air a little more than 25 degrees warmer than the room air temperature it may then elevate or begin to recover the room temperature back to a comfortable level. It depends on how your system is tailored :)

It simply heats the rooms, everywhere it is ducted too.

If you would get out a note pad, you could write down a tip. The sensible heat supplied to the room is proportional to the airflow to the room. and the temperature differential between the hopefully warm supply air and the room air. A heat pump extracting heat from a temperature source near the freezing point of water may elevate the supply air temperature by upwards to 20 degrees F above the room temperature.

Now keep reading and maybe we can take a look at how this heat will transfer without the help of gremlins.

Ouch that must hurt.

LMAO, what the hell did you think I was talking about the room temperature jumping by 25 degrees, too funny. Mind you by the time you work out your ductless booster the central area temperature may have climbed 15F above a 5F setback by the time the rooms recovered. We already covered the heat wasted with the elevated core temperature so we can move on.

Grab the same notebook and write this down. In your location in the land down under, maybe your heat pumps have a warmer ambient heat source than perhaps 0C. When the temperature source of a heat pump increases, then the heat output of the heat pump also increases. I thought you had this concept down before. So possibly with a 7C ambient, the heat pump may be able to warm the air coming out of the ducts by 25 degrees F above the room temperature.

For example 65F return, 25 degree rise, maybe a 90F supply plus a little fan heat.

So when you work out how much heat goes to the rooms, from the primary system, it will be proportional to the temperature difference between the room air being drawn into the return and the supply air being delivered to the room.

Perhaps the core area of the home has 25% of the heat loss and therefore needs 25% of the air of the primary system. Your booster gets the core up to 70F quickly and the rooms may have warmed from 65 to 66F in the time the booster got the central area up to 70F..

The temperature of the air going into the primary heat pump could then be 0.25x70 +0.75x66=67F

So maybe the supply air, leaving the heat pump to the rooms is now

67+25=92F instead of 66+25=91. You gained some extra heat input into the rooms as the core area warmed.

Without overheating the open area of the home all that booster does is help the core recover quick, and gives you a control problem to deal with. Does not really add that much heat to the rooms.

I hear when you learn something the hard way, you never forget.

Subtract 32 then divide by 1.8, it may be less confusing.

Well summarize exactly what you are proposing, you are simply vague and the scheme evolves all the time. It was a ducted system, a ductless system and a swamp cooler last time I heard.

No real point in setting back at all, just keep it cool all the time. But we were talking about the typical setback.

So lets keep it to Awake Leave Return Sleep. I was saying before that unless you go to extreme, unviable situations, the heat pump without strips is going to have a tough time recovering in the morning without the help of some sunshine. And to recover before the return period, you will need the help of the sun also. The Sleep Awake setback is the most challenging one to deal with, so it is convenient when you want to neglect it.

You actually have a climate where it may be possible to do this, without the extremes, just I doubt you will be able to figure it out. I was looking at areas down there average lows in July were like 6 to 9C, average highs in July were hitting 15C, you should almost be able to do this. Especially if it is as dry as you say, then you do not have to worry about the poor dehumidification in the cooling season.

This trolling is a lot of work, but your standard repetoire is slowing down a bit. Seems you get beat up when you deviate from it. Is it tomorrow there yet, you have been answering me all day. I still have some line on my reel.

I suspect another round of wet paper bags, blotto, pig ignorant and HVAC ape to be forthcoming. That keeps you safe at least, because you are really starting to embarass yourself when you say anything else.

Reply to
Abby Normal

Like others here I tried to debate Rod . As in this thread whenever the facts contradicted his claims he reverted to the "reams" and similar auto responses. There was a discussion here about whether non-citizens were covered by the Bill of Rights. He insisted they were not. I posted a Supreme Court decision showing that they ,in fact, were covered. His rebuttal consisted of "irrelevant" It appears that he is a lifetime welfare recipient lacking education,income and social or communication skills.He also seemed obsessed with the fact that I have a good paying sales job, something that semi-literate, uneducated ill mannered dolts can never achieve, I find the group to be more pleasant after I kill filed the child as I now only see his repetitive non-responses when someone quotes him.

Reply to
George Grapman

PS- I will never see it but his predictable response will be something along the lines of "no wonder the only job the f****it can manage is sales fool" The only thing sadder than his stock replies is when he tries to say something beyond that.

Reply to
George Grapman

Abby Normal wrote

Wrong. The primary system which keeps the house at a uniform temp when setback isnt used keeps doing that fine when you use anything to get the central area back off setback.

Doesnt matter if thats a ductless split system, solar, a wood stove, or even a furnace etc.

Complete pig ignorant drivel.

No it aint. Thats why you set the stat on the ductless split system to a bit below the normal temp that the primary stat is set to.

The primary system has enough capacity to maintain the temps properly without setback, the only problem is that it needs to use the strips to come back off setback quickly enough. The secondary system JUST replaces the strips and is a lot cheaper to run than the strips.

Wrong, as always. Same heat to the rooms as you get without setback being used.

No you dont, whatever works fine with no setback will still work fine with setback and some system to replace the strips when coming back off setback.

Thanks for that completey superfluous proof that you have never ever had a f****ng clue about the basics, and why the best you have ever managed is drunken HVAC ape.

Thanks for that completey superfluous proof that you have never ever had a f****ng clue about the basics, and why the best you have ever managed is drunken HVAC ape.

Reams of pathetic attempt at a troll that any 2 year old could leave for dead flushed where it belongs.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Abby Normal wrote

Couldnt bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

Wrong, as always. The primary system is clearly quite adequate to keep the temps in the house uniform if setback isnt used.

Nothing changes on that when setback is used and a ductless split system or anything else is used to come back off the setback quicker than the primary system can achieve.

Wrong when the primary system is perfectly capable of keeping the temps uniform in the house when setback isnt used.

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you have never ever had a f****ng clue about the basics and why the best you have ever been able to manage is drunken HVAC ape.

Nothing like if the heap pump has a properly designed duct system added with it.

Reams of terminally silly completely irrelevant crap that isnt even a viable troll flushed where it belongs.

Wrong, as always.

Same way it does when setback aint used, stupid.

Reams of your pathetic excuse for a troll flushed where it belongs.

Wrong, as always.

That happens when the sun shines on some of the rooms and not the others, stupid.

The bulk of the air will be coming from the central area, where it will be close to the temp you want, just like it is when setback aint used, stupid.

With mostly air from the central area which has been recovered to close to normal temp by whatever you chose to use to get the central area back off the setback in a decent time, stupid.

All completely irrelevant to what happens when the central area has been recovered to about the normal temp by whatever you choose to use to get back off the setback in a reasonable time.

Reams of your pathetic excuse for a troll flushed where it belongs.

None of the rest of your even sillier shit worth bothering with, all flushed where it belongs.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Some pathological liar sales f****it claiming to be George Grapman wrote

Reams of your pathological lying flushed where it belongs.

You've been told REPEATEDLY that I have never ever recieved even a CENT of welfare, EVER. You just keep lying about that.

You've been told REPEATEDLY that that is just another lie.

My education and income leaves yours for dead liar.

No surprise that the best you have ever been able to manage is sales f****it. Ideal 'job' for a pathological liar.

You're lying about that too.

Reply to
latmu

Only way I see is is when others quote you or when, as in this case, you forge your address. Regards to sam jones from Russia. If someone said I was on welfare I would laugh but, for some reason, it seems to upset you.

Reply to
George Grapman

I am very impressed that Rod cares so much about my seeing his rants that he forged his name.

Reply to
George Grapman

Lying, as always.

No it doesnt, its just the proof that you are a pathological liar.

No surprise that the best you have ever been able to manage is sales f****it. Ideal 'job' for a pathological liar.

Reply to
latmu

Okay, the setback period ends, the primary system is running steady trying to bring the whole house back up to temperature. Maybe has to try and bring the whole house up by 5 degrees.

But a second system only serving in the central area also turns on.

So perhaps in one half hours time, the primary system has brought the whole house temperature up by a degree and the secondary system has brought up the central area by another 3 degrees.

The secondary system cycles off, and the primary system runs for another hour has fianlly recovered the 5 degrees of set back. This was done by the primary system supplying two degrees of reheat and the secondary system providing 3 degrees of reheat.

But now, you need to think about where that primary system thermostat is.

If that primary system thermostat is in the central area, it is satisified. That means the rest of the house gets no more heat until the central area cools off. So the rooms have recovered two degrees of heat (actually probably a slight amount more) and the primary system is off.

So you really need to think, of a better way to control the primary system it is a doomed system to have the stat in the central area. You also need to think about how to get extra heat above what the primary system can normally supply to the rooms to assist them in recovery.

Hey could be an electric heater in that room, will not work as well as the strips. Solar will help after your scheme fails, it would warm up the east rooms anyways.

When the primary system is running and the central area has recovered, the average return air temperature to the primary system will elevate slightly. This results in a slightly elevated supply temperature to the cool rooms and marginally helps them recover.

Maybe read above and other posts and you will finally see the light. I feel bad beating you up here.

Try it one more time grasshopper

You set the stat on the ductless split system lower than the primary system. So the central area was set back to 65F. The primary stat is set for 70F when setback ends and the ductless split stat is set for

69F when setback ends.

So at the end of the setback period, the room is 65F and that just happens to be lower than the setting of the primary system stat and the booster system stat. Guess what, both systems run.

So the primary system puts a portion of its heat output to the central area and the remainder to the rest of the house and the ductless system puts its entire heat output in the central area.

The heat output of two systems to the central area, elevates the temperature area of the central area much faster than in the rooms.

So by the time the ductless system has switched off, the central area is now 69F and the remainder of the house maybe 66F.

The primary system keeps running and it raisws the central area by another degree without the help of the ductless system and the central area is now 70F, and the primary systems TURNS OFF.

In the same time period, the rooms have also been heated by an additional degree and they are now at 67F. But the primary system is OFF, until the central area cools off and the primary system comes back on. But the rooms cool off a little bit too.

So you are not going to recover the room temperature with any success with the ductless split in the central area only.

The rooms will not recover with the auxiliary heat source in the central area.

The central area being warmed up does not help the rooms much, maybe a

4 to 8 percent heat boost to the rooms above what the primary system would normally supply.

Strips will warm up the whole place-- thats an apple

The booster in the central area will warm up mainly the central area, that is the pathetic orange. The primary system has warmed up the rooms as much as it can. The rooms do not benefit much from the central booster system.

If you elevate the temperature in the central area with the booster system, then it will help the rooms recover, but it is just a stupid idea.

I think you should drop the 'f****ng clue about the basics' from you repettoire, it makes you look the most foolish of them all.

Read this one over a few times grasshoopper and think.

Reply to
Abby Normal

Abby Normal wrote

No it doesnt, it hasnt got the central area up to the normal temp, stupid.

Wrong again, the new central temp is distributed to the other rooms by the secondary system and the whole system gets back to the normal temp as fast as the secondary system can get it back.

Wrong, as always.

Nope.

Wrong, it circulates the normal temp air from the central area to the other rooms while the central area is recovering from the setback. It just isnt adding much heat to that circulated air.

The WHOLE HOUSE will come back off the setback at a rate which is determined by how quickly the secondary system can provide the heat required to come off the setback.

The WHOLE HOUSE comes back off the setback because the central air is still circulated by the primary system, just like it is when no setback is used.

No it isnt.

That wont give a uniform temp in the house with no setback used, stupid.

Nope, that comes from the secondary system, circulated by the primary system.

Well enough.

The primary system has to be able to handle the inevitable that the rooms on the sunny side will get solar and the rooms on the other side wont, stupid.

Lot more than slightly because its the central area, stupid.

The primary system keeps the temperature uniform, just like it does with no setback used, stupid.

Reams of your pathetic excuse for a troll flushed where it belongs.

No wonder the best you have ever been able to manage is drunken unemployable HVAC ape.

Reply to
Rod Speed

You want some other system besides the strips, then get some other system inline with the air coming off the primary system.

Or put a booster unit in each room

Or put another ducted system in, either figure out how to make it share the same ductwork or put in its own ductwork.

Any way you look at it, the central booster is a dog. And that dog don't hunt.

And in the furture, it's Mr. Ape Sir to you punk.

Reply to
Abby Normal

You seem to be enjoying this :) I think he gets that he's cornered, but he's a fighter. He might run out and bite your ankle though if you keep tormenting him. The fight or flight response reduces to only the fight response when there is nowhere to run. A cornered animal would never contemplate defeat, it isn't in their nature. :)

hvacrmedic

Reply to
RP