prog. therm. and heat pump questions

Reply to
Abby Normal

It sure will!

Especially if the face velocity is below the carryover threshold. It is a critical design paramater for dehumidifiers. :-)

But since you are not reheating the air with the condenser, it acts more like an oversized system (coil) than a dehumidifier. And I doubt if short cycling does squat for efficiency (in fact I think it hurts, both efficiency and the compressor).

P.S.: Why is this crossposted to misc.consumers.frugal-living? I read all three groups, but I don't understand... this is an engineering question, or a frugality issue?

(Maybe except for the fact that it is unfrugal to waste energy and/or thrash an HVAC system.) ;->

-- -john wide-open at throttle dot info

~~~~~~~~ The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining - JFK ~~~~~~~~

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

Maybe the scheme could get more elaborate yet to prove the setback scheme. Put a small ductless split heat pump in each room.

Reply to
Abby Normal

I just got off the blower with a creditor, and I don't want to hear any setback scheme crap right now! :-)

The ultimate zone system. :-)

-- -john wide-open at throttle dot info

~~~~~~~~ The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining - JFK ~~~~~~~~

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

No need, even someone as stupid as you should be able to grasp that the primary system will have the effect of spreading the effect of the single ductless split system thruout the house if its put in the main living area.

In effect the ductless split system is just like the strips except that its much more efficient than the strips for when the primary system doesnt have enough horsepower to come back off setback quickly enough.

Reply to
Rod Speed

That's good, let the sun warm up the home during the day, then let the heat pump maintain a comfortable temp until you fall asleep then set it back.

Just keep it cool until until the next afternoon when the sunshine warms your house back up.

So if they do not mind those cold temps when the experience nice low wet bulb temps when getting out of the shower on those winter mornings why even bother setting it back in the first place. Just keep the temp set low all the time. With a passive solar design, It could even rise above the set point on a sunny winter day for free.

So now you stayed up all night to basically say why bother making the system recover from night time set back mainly because it can't without some extra help. The extra help is sunshine, strip heaters, an oversized system or a dedicated 'recovery from night time set back' system.

You have given up on the overnight set back, so we are back to the day time setback where I already said, "recover while the sun is shining".

Reply to
Abby Normal

Yep, your original claim that

was always just plain wrong.

And you dont necessarily have to use solar to come back off setback either, the other obvious possibility when solar isnt practical is to come back off setback after midday when the heat pump can get back to normal temp for the evening a reasonable time with no one in the house.

Basically because that saves power when you are asleep when its vastly more economical to heat the bed rather than the entire house.

Depends on how the passive solar is done. Many find that once the sun has gone, that its not warm enough for comfort and so it makes sense to use a heat pump to keep the place warm enough in the evenings and to go onto setback once you have gone to bed.

No I didnt. You cant even work out the basics on timezones either.

What matters is what is the most economic way to come back off setback with a heat pump.

That can make setback with heat pumps very viable. You pig ignorantly claimed setback isnt viable with heat pumps.

No I havent.

Its just one way of doing setback with a heat pump.

The other obvious approach is the ductless split system added to the primary system.

Another is just coming off setback after midday with plenty of time to get back to normal temps for the evening with more useful outside temps.

Your original claim that setback isnt viable with heat pumps has always been just plain wrong.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Fixed metering system, in a matter of a few seconds of that compressor shutting off that coil is going to warm up. Pressures equalize pretty fast.

Non bleed TX system, that air will warm up the coil fairly quick.

Your window shaker runs the fan steady as it has a sensing bulb for the thermostat. Next summer wire your window shaker to a remote thermostat that kills controls a contactor that kills the power to the whole unit. The fan will then cycle with the compressor. Watch RH drop compared to letting the fan run all the time.

Reply to
Abby Normal

Go look at the link to your solar buddies in Florida

Reply to
Abby Normal

"got numbers" = "I don't understand it"

Reply to
John P.. Bengi

Pure dribblesnot! Dribblesnot I say!!!!!

Or is that pigdribble, I never can keep those straight...

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

Even if you agree with the troll he will still argue with you.

The heat pump without the heat strips, without being grossly oversized, or without having multilple units exceeding the required capacity can't recover for the morning period so he advocates not bring the home up to temperature until the afternoon.

You got the sun helping you then, plus the only intelligent thing this idot has said so far......... in the afternoon you are hitting your daily high temperature usually so you get a little more heat out of the heat pump. So now the system is being set back for 16 hours minimum each day. Once a day. Recover while the sun is shining, nothing new, just the way he trolls around and ends up saying what was originally said by others.

Otherwise just leave it at the low indoor temperature, wear long underwear and slippers all the time, be comfy and enjoy low heating bills. The fact that the cost of the booster system being installed would never pay for itself in its lifetime of service is another matter.

The rest of the stuff he just contradicts himself, and really to argue that you can setback and recover temperature in time by forking out the extra money for a 'booster heater system' is just stupid. A case of going to extreme to prove a point and yank someone's chain to keep them arguing with a moron.

I think he has it down to a minimum of three systems now, two ducted and one ductless split but I think he will soon be championing the cause of a ductless split heat pump in each room to boost the temperature more evenly. Maybe he will go back to one sized for cooling as the central ducted system then a ductless split in each room.

Maybe one of those mitsubishi vrv's yah that's the ticket. They only cost about as much as chilled water.

Reply to
Abby Normal

My real opinion about this entire subject is that if you can't afford to run a strip heater or two for recovery, then you can't afford to run the f****ng heat pump either. They should just shut the f****ng thing off, sell it on e-bay, use the money to buy a big gun to kill themselves. Then all of those monetary concerns would be moot :)

hvacrmedic

Reply to
RP

Abby Normal wrote

You wouldnt know what a troll was if it bit you on your lard arse.

Couldnt bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

What was being discussed was your pig ignorant claim that setback aint viable with heat pumps.

I rubbed your stupid pig ignorant nose in a number of perfectly viable situations where set back with a heat pump is indeed viable.

Its a hell of a lot more than an little more, you pathetic excuse for a bullshit artist.

Doesnt alter that FACT that setback is indeed viable in that particular situation.

Pity you pig ignorantly claimed that setback aint viable with heat pumps.

Couldnt bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

Nothing to do with what was being discussed, whether setback can be viable with a heat pump.

Complete pig ignorant drivel with the cheap chinese ductless split systems.

Lying, as always.

Couldnt bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

And passive solar to assist with coming off the setback doesnt necessarily cost much at all.

Couldnt bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

Lying, as always.

Lying, as always.

You dont even need that if you are happy to come off the setback in time for the evening, f****it.

Couldnt bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

I actually keep rubbing your stupid pig ignorant nose in the FACT that the primary system will be perfectly adequate to equalise the temperature when the boost is being used.

You're the only one so stupid that you cant manage to work out that the primary system is perfectly adequate to keep the temps even if it can do that without any setback.

Pathetic excuse for a bullshit artist is obviously blotto by now.

Reply to
Rod Speed

You even suck as a troll. Same old repettoire when flustered.

Reply to
Abby Normal

So the primary one is sized for the design heat loss and then is grossly oversized for cooling. Give up rookie.

Or do you still have the dual systems with backdraft dampers plus the incremental ductless split in lieu of a pot belly stove. Remember, sound out the big words and think before you post.

You are the most pathetic troll I have seen but at least you are effective at getting me to feed you.

Reply to
Abby Normal

Abby Normal wrote

Couldnt bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

Obviously blotto, as always.

No surprise that the best its ever been able to manage is HVAC ape.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Never said anything like that, you pathetic excuse for a bullshit artist.

I have JUST been rubbing your stupid pig ignorant nose in the FACT that your stupid pig ignorant claim that setback with heat pump isnt viable.

Wrong, as always.

Nope.

Couldnt bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Hey I will see your wet paper bag and a blotto and raise you a couple ignorant pig wads.

Reply to
Abby Normal