Professionals Reply Only

That was my thinking. There is sort of an insurance fund (forgot what it is actually called) where if the conpany or fund goes bankrupt then you get about 1/3 of the promised money. There was a program on 60 minuits a while back about a company that did that. They had an eairly retirement similar to where I work. Some retired at 55 and were getting around $ 1200 per month. The company went out of business and they were reduced to $ 400 per month. The retirement money is earned and should be put back in a safe place. Most companies underfund the retirement. I forgot the way General Motors did theirs but it is now adding over $ 1000 to every new car sold by them. If they sell less cars, the cost per car will go up and the profit will go down.
Didn't the government do about the same to the social security ? Big pool of money just sitting there and someone just wanted to get their hands on it. That is why they say the social security money will run out.

SS has always been pay as you go. SS will run into troubles because the ratio of those working will be smaller relative to the number of those on retirement. Currently there is something like 1 retiree for every 14 or 15 worker. At the top of the baby boom retirement it will be closed to 3:1. Three workers supporting every retiree instead of the current number. Add in the pyramid scheme that is and always was the reform in the 80s (we got all these extra taxes for the "surplus" which then goes into a bunch of non-marketable government bonds with no idea where the money is going to come from to redeem them. Not even using MC to pay your Visa, this like getting a cash advance on your MC to pay your Visa.
Ralph Mowery wrote:

Depends on what you're doing. I still know some people who take pride in their work, and I enjoy working with those people. Sadly, they're electricians (in a specialized field) and a lot of them are here on green cards, apparently working with your hands is not lucrative/attractive enough for many native born citizens.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
evodawg wrote:

The point of the other poster's complaint was perceived quality irregardless of place of manufacture -- imo, Milwaukee is still topnotch for the job in any of their tools I have.
"Homebuilt" would be nice in many ways but currently isn't a reality so there's no point in even debating the issue. The suitability of the tool and reliability, etc., otoh, is...

With everything being made in china for the lowest price and unknown quality control nobody knows, a bad batch of anyproduct will always get sold here. I have maybe 10 PC products that are fine, I am trying HDs ridgid brand only because of a lifetime warranty even on batteries.
evodawg wrote:

Yes, I have noticed that also... oops, I'm not a professional, so please disregard this.

Just not enough vowels in your mym...
Didn't see a thing.
I wanna be a pwofessshunnall.......
Working on being a professional whiner.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
evodawg wrote:

Here is one reason: http://www.harborfreight.com/ Kevin
evodawg wrote:

I think it's a good idea. There are electrical hand tools (drills, saws, etc.) that were made 50 years ago that still work swell.
But who would use them? Compared to today's products, these ancient models are heavy, bulky, and limited in function. Heck, they don't even have built in lights, bubble-levels, or radios.
HeyBub wrote:

LMFAO, I often wondered how well a bubble level would work on the top of a drill. What a bunch of weekend warrior gimmicks. Give me a freakin break.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

I gues you could call me a weekend warrior, but I have a decent collection of both old and new tools. A rechargeable drill I bought a couple of years ago happened to have a bubble level built into it. I didn't think much of it until I began using the drill. Surprisingly, it does help in guiding the drill in a horizontal position.
--
Wayne Boatwright
evodawg wrote:

You may be correct. Modern drills are light enough to use with one hand while the other holds a square. But you have to keep moving the square! Nowdays, drills have those little target levels so you can get the hole perfect in all directions! They've got chucks that don't need keys, battery operated so you can use 'em anywhere, little clips to hold spare/extra screw bits, all kinds of goodness.
That, and I like to listen to the radio.
HeyBub wrote:

I freakin' HATE keyless chucks. Inevitably I will have to drill a hole in steel sheet and the drill bit I need will be some old thing without the three flats on it, and inevitably it will catch, a keyless chuck simply does not grip the bit tight enough to keep it from spinning. Reverse it out, remove bit, gently file the burrs off the shank, try again, catch, spin, repeat 3x, finally hole is done, clean up with reamer and chamfer, now you have to file the drill bit again 'cause the burr won't let it fit into your drill index...
just give me a good old fashioned Jacobs keyed chuck, thank you.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

I always love it when your drilling into hard dry wood and the drill sticks then you reverse it and the drill bit is now stuck in the wood and the only way to get it out is with vise grips and like you say you end up either breaking it or burring it. And sometimes if it breaks your screwed because that's the only hole you could drill for appearance purposes.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

Like everything else, they have there place I don't want one on my drill press, but I certainly like the one on my Panasonic drill. I don't drill steel with a hand drill very often though.
Nate Nagel wrote:

To each his own. From now on, when I hear someone pining for the good-old-days, I'll think of you.
And dentistry.
HeyBub wrote:

All's I know is that a friend of mine had as his "good" drill a DeWalt with a keyless chuck. Apparently the little teeth that make the keyless thing work were nylon or something because they just wouldn't grab hard enough to really tighten it down, he was ready to chuck it in the dumpster. Found a Jacobs chuck at HF of all places for like $5, it's now usable again.
The little rubber straps that hold the chuck key to the cord are, well, key.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote: ...

Tell him to buy Milwaukee Red.
Like most everything else, it depends on the quality and design of the keyless chuck. I have no trouble w/ the Milwaukee, can't stand the two-piece on some other thing which I don't even recall what is otomh it's used so rarely...
Good one-piece keyless chucks are fine.

I am with you on the keyless chucks. I hate them for drills also. They are fine if you have bits with flats on them, but they sure suck if you have a round bit.