Professionals Reply Only

Page 1 of 4

Have you noticed that our choices for Pro Line Tools are diminishing fast! It use to be there was 4 or 5 choices for good quality power tools. Black and Decker has bought up 3 of those products and now turned them into CRAP! What are our choices now? None. Most of my power tools are Porter Cable and I have had great luck with them. I have a 14.4 drill/driver that has lasted 7 years and I use it everyday. I have already seen the quality of this tool drop from Pro Line to Week End Warrior status. What are we suppose to use now when we want Quality and Dependability?
Bosch comes to mind and Festool, but I'm not sure who builds these. I'm sure every tool built now comes with China fasteners and what few metal parts are left in them. I'm just getting sick of large corps. buying these tool makers and turning them into cheap ass trash not even worthy of Weekend Warrior Status.
I needed to VENT and was wondering what you guys think of this trend?
Rich
evodawg wrote:

It's not just tools, it's every consumer good. For *most* people the thought of buying tools/goods for a lifetime never occurs to them, just getting them through the next job.
I tear up whenever I think about all the old Delta tools that were in my grandfather's workshop that ended up getting sold because when they moved out I didn't have the money (although I'm sure if I'd expressed interest, I would have been given them, I would have felt guilty,) a truck, or a place to put them. Fortunately I got a lot of his hand tools and AFAIK what my grandmother still doesn't have were taken by my cousin's husband; the only great loss was the tubing tools which were sold.
I'm still having good luck with my Milwaukee and Makita stuff, but the only major tool I've bought within the last decade was a new Sawzall, the rest of it is fairly old.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

Old red Milwaukee, Bosch(made in Swiss), Porter Calbe(made in TN). My idea of getting something is buy best I could afford and keep it life time. Stuff made in China depends on what spec. it is made to. Not everything Chinese is bad.
Tony Hwang wrote:

I love Chinese food.
[8~{} Uncle Monster
Tony Hwang wrote:

I didn't mean to imply that, but it seems that really the only way to evaluate Chinese quality is visual inspection, as a lot of stuff hasn't been on the market long enough to see whether it's really durable or not. Also many stores take a dim view of disassembling the samples in the store :) And you have to admit that some Chinese products have indeed received a bad rap for quality.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
evodawg wrote: ...sour grapes...
Milwaukee Red...
dpb wrote:

France NOW!
Website Addy http://rentmyhusband.co.nr /

I bought ONE of each at HD in the past a year or two. Discontinued stocking/model. 1/2 hammer/drill was marked down from $149.00 to about 129.00 or less. Told the clerk to get me one. They were out on the stock shelves. I bought the display, AFTER sending the clerk with my $75.00 offer to an on duty manger. With tax if cost me $90.00.
I needed a corded sawzall this year and picked up one on the "isle" table. Saved maybe $25.00.
Both were Miilwaukee

French-- Oh yeah, that's real good-- socialized and unionized up to their eyeballs, 6 weeks off per year, short work weeks, no pride in what they do....I'll take my chances with the stuff from China!

1. socialized 2. unionized 3. 6 weeks vacation
and
no pride in what they do?
I think it's just the opposite. Good working conditions, strong workers rights, and ample vacation time make for a motivated work force with pride in their work. I think you've been drinking BillO's, Hannity's, and Rush's Kool-aid. Your brain seems to be rusting.
Made in France says it all!!! French tanks have 1 forward speed and 3 reverse speeds. Their rifles are often found on the battlefield in like new condition-- need I mention Renault!!!!

Are you sure that's not by design... LOL and I always thought it's because the French are always in retreat and that goes for the rifle to. You can't run as fast when you have a rifle in your hands.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Not too sure how many countries do it, but some countries have passed a law the companies have to give atleast a month off. This is to create more jobs for the workers. Seems their government is looking out for them. Ours seems to make it easier to import things and cost jobs. If you look at some of the American stuff you will see there is no pride in our work either.
Ralph Mowery wrote:

And yet oddly the US GDP is still approximately the same as that of the whole of Europe and about ten times that of Japan.
--John
Ralph Mowery wrote:

instead of 2 (or whatever), but still have to pay all the workers for all 52 weeks each year, well, who is making up the difference in labor costs? You HAVE to increase your prices. And if the country next door is making the same thing, but they only have to pay the employees for 2 free weeks each year, well, they can set their prices a little lower.
Not defending robber barons or the chinese slave factories, mind you. Every company should treat their workers well, or at least humanely. But if the 'other guy' isn't paying for that perk for his workers, you probably can't afford to either.
-- aem sends...
On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 17:42:05 -0500, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Excellent perception. Made in the USA doesn't always mean the best possible product for the buck. Pride in workmanship starts at the top.
The mark of a true professional is doing the job right the first time and making it look easy.
wrote in message

Also how much pride do you think I or others like me can take when the following hapens to them? I was promised a good eairly retirement when I started at 23 years old if I worked for the comapny for 30 years and was over 55. Around the time I turned 53 the company was sold and the new owners decided not to honor that agreement. That now means instead of retiring at 55 or 60 I will have to work to atleast 62 or maybe 65 when the medicare insurance starts. Then I look at Home Depot and see they 'fired' the CEO and gave him around 120 million to leave. Poor Ford Motor comapny CEO only got about 20 million to leave. I did manage to loose about $ 10,000 in the Ford stock when it fell from around $ 27 to $ 10. See that it is around $ 5 now. Guess that I did save a few dollars by getting out at $ 10.
Seems the government lets the big boys get payed when they are fired for poor job performance, while the workers get shafted for working.
Ralph Mowery wrote:

You really need to understand how things work. I look at life like a big Chess Board. We are the Pawns, disposable, expendable, and easily made to feel somewhat important. Then you have the big boys with the true POWER that control the strings and every movement is made far in advance, control every aspect of our life's. And these big boys are not the president or congress, just the ones that control everything like all the moves on the Chess Board. Big Money and Corporations and the families that control it. You just do your best and try not to get in their way and hopefully you can die with some kind of dignity and be somewhat successful. And this is the way it's been since the beginning of time and it will be that way until man's demise.
I know this sounds cynical but can anyone explain to me why this would not make sense? Explain to me why People in high places can make the dumbest decisions that not even a moron would make and come out smelling like a rose? Simple, read the above paragraph.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

Government doesn't really have a dog in this fight. I am assuming that you aren't suggesting that the government mandated the changes in your situation.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

I think they do. Years ago it wasn't uncommon that if someone had a pension plan the pension funds were commingled with the companies other funds. So if "Dry Creek Zinc" went broke the pension money was gone too. Then the government established a very simple requirement that the pension fund which belonged to the employees must be given to and held by a trustee. As time went on the companies protested on the basis it wasn't necessary to do this because using "smoke and mirrors" accounting they could show that far less than the actual pension money needed to be held in reserve. So with the shady accounting forecasts and appropriate consideration delivered to the politicians the requirements were changed by the government.
A family member was about to retire from a megacorp. His employment agreement was that he provided service and would get a pension of a certain value and the company would pay his medical insurance. The company he worked for was purchased by an even bigger company. After some time they decided it would be a lot better for them if they screwed everyone (including vendors etc) by filing bankruptcy and opening up under a new name. The net result for my family member was that he gets 45% of his pension and they won't pay his medical insurance.
The leader of megacorp got a $100 Million bonus for his "great work".