Problems with my Maytag refrig/freezer

About a year and a half ago, we started getting a leak from the freezer compartment of our Maytag side by side refrig. I had a repairman come over and I watched him like a hawk. He opened up the back of the freezer compartment and cleared out the ice that was clogging the drain plug for the freezer. Problem solved, I thought.

Same problem has now been occurring for the last 6 months or so. Each time, I've taken off the back and cleared out the drain hole. But now it doesn't last long before ice trails form on the bottom of the compartment and eventually thaw and leak out the front of the freezer.

The cooling coil (maybe wrong term for it) is clear of ice so it appears that the defrosting coil (looks kind of like the things you use to start charcoal fires) is working. Evidently, the drain hole just plugs up and then water pools up and then travels out the front of the freezer.

Any ideas about what needs to be done? I'd appreciate any help anyone can provide. And please let me know if I should just have a repairman fix the problem. However, I'm pretty handy and can usually repair most things if I know what the problem is.

Thanks.

Reply to
writegeist

This was a long-standing issue with a few Amana models 10-15 years ago. Amana tried fixing it by having techs add additional insulation around the drain tube, but it didn't work. Amana wouldn't do anything more for their customers, so the long term solution was to replace the fridge with another brand. Some folks replaced the narrow plastic drain tube with a larger diameter copper tube, the idea being that the metal tube would defrost faster and more uniformly than would plastic. Dunno if that'd work in your Maytag.

HellT

Reply to
Hell Toupee