problem with Weil Mclean Boiler

I repaced my heating system 4 years ago with an oil fired Weil Mclean system. The burner is a Beckett. Occasionally theboiler fires up and then shuts down a few seconds later. The service guy claimed that it was a bad transformer. I don't think he knws what the real problem is. These guys are butchers. They change parts and charge a lot of money and they are not sure what the probelm is. They dont know how to test the parts to see if they are defective. Anyone have aclue about what the problem could be?

Do you have a voltmeter? If so, just monitor the output voltage from the transformer when things are normal, leave it hooked up, and at the next failure check the voltmeter to see if it is still putting out the same voltage. This is basic, if you don't understand then find a helpful handy neighbor.
Worth asking, did the tech mean the high voltage transformer that creates the electric arc? Or the low voltage transformer that does the controls?
The high voltage transformer, I'd not want to try and read the output of that. Ouch!
Do you have a voltmeter? If so, just monitor the output voltage from the transformer when things are normal, leave it hooked up, and at the next failure check the voltmeter to see if it is still putting out the same voltage. This is basic, if you don't understand then find a helpful handy neighbor.

So, I should unbolt the transformer,tilt it back, turn on the burner and measure the voltage? The burner will be pumpin goil into the fire box with no ignition. This won't cause a problem? I think my voltmeter does measure 10 Kv but I dont want to get zapped.

Yes, the flame does actually start. I can hear it. The pump turns on for about 10 seconds before the flame ignites and when it shuts off, the pump runs for antoher 10 seconds. Actually I think its a blower not the oil pump.
On 1/27/2012 12:10 AM, finiteguy wrote:

It sounds like you have a burner with pre purge and post purge, and since the reset isn't popping out, it sounds like it's acting normally.

if the flame starts then the unit shuts off, the HV xformer is good, it is needed for ignition.
if the flame starts, then the unit shuts off, that sounds like the flame sensor isn't working...
it might be a dirty "electric eye" that needs to be cleaned...
Google "flame sensor"
Mark
low on fuel clogged fuel filter clogged nozzle dirty cad cell electrodes set wrong high voltage transformer going weak faulty limit switch combustion air flow problems
I can go on, keep guessing. But, it's necessary to be there, and actually check things.
I repaced my heating system 4 years ago with an oil fired Weil Mclean system. The burner is a Beckett. Occasionally theboiler fires up and then shuts down a few seconds later. The service guy claimed that it was a bad transformer. I don't think he knws what the real problem is. These guys are butchers. They change parts and charge a lot of money and they are not sure what the probelm is. They dont know how to test the parts to see if they are defective. Anyone have aclue about what the problem could be?
On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 20:45:50 -0800 (PST), finiteguy

Could be many things. Beckett is a very common burner for many brands. Find a new service outfit. I dare to say, anyone servicing oil burners will know the Beckett and can get parts if needed.
On 1/25/2012 11:45 PM, finiteguy wrote:

You need to take note of the temperature of the water in the boiler when it shuts off. If the boiler controls are set up for "cold start" operation, the burner will only come on when a zone calls for heat, provided that the water temperature is not already at the high limit setting. During the cold weather season it's pretty common for a zone to turn the burner on just below the point that the high limit will turn it off, so after a couple of seconds, the burner shuts down.
On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 20:45:50 -0800 (PST), finiteguy

That's classic behavior for bad flame sensing in my experience. Did you or the service clean the flame sensor?
--Vic
finiteguy wrote the following on 1/25/2012 11:45 PM (ET):

On occasion over the years, my boiler has kicked on for a second or two and then shut itself off. Although being curious, I have never thought of it as being a problem, so I never asked about it. Since it never interfered with the regular heating cycle, I assumed it was an automatic check start feature for whatever reason. If and when it ONLY comes on for a second or two and no longer, I will have it checked.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

The heating system does work ok normally. I never loose heat or hot water. It occasionally cycles on and off for a few seconds (as I described) but not very often. I'm inclined to leave it alone until it really breaks.
By the way, this system saved me a bundle of money. It replaced my old coal converted pig and i save about 300 gallons of oil per year. It has probably paid for itself by now. I think I paid $5000. and that included professionally removing asbestos along with the old boiler.